Chemical useage & its effects on workers

Now let's delve into this a little deeper.

Think that maybe every time you go to the hospital and you give your SS# and occupation the big computer at Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Georgia might be cross referencing your occupation with your disease?
How do you think they found asbestos, the chemicals used in dry-cleaning, the methylene chloride used in metering roller cleaner and PVC pipe manufacturing and hundreds more work place disease related issues. Yet today guess what?, print chemical companies still sell metering roller cleaners that contain methylene chloride as an ingredient.

Back in 1997 OHSA http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/methylenechloride/ adopted a new law that says manufacturers using this chemical must conduct exposure monitoring, institute controls to reduce exposure, do medical surveillance available to exposed employees, and train employees of the hazards of this chemical. So how many of us have been trained?

Last edited:
Thankyou for the response. I have checked the high fidelity fount and it does not meet our requirement. The A+B systems cleaner looks like it will, not sure about the solvex, couldn't find the msds for that product.
High fidelity = 2 Butoxyethanol, ethylene glycol both sara 313 listed.
MSDS On Fileâ„¢
No problem; it looks like Solvex doesn't meet you requirements either, MSDS's can be found here: https://www.box.net/shared/1gp2k4ck7xygvbjelk3i

I have had three people in my family diagnosed with CREST syndrome / Scleroderma/ reynords.
Uncle - Passed away in mid 40's due to extreme effects of crest.
Uncle - Showing medium effects of crest
Grandparent - mild effects or scleroderma / reynords.

I have just done a bit of reading and will continue tonight but the following is scarry concidering I've been in contact with some of these chemicals for a long time day in day out in the industry.
"Most cases of scleroderma occur with no recognizable initiating event. Some cases, however, have been traced to poisonous (toxic) exposures. For example,coal miners and gold miners (both of whom have a lot of exposure to silica dust) have higher than normal rates of scleroderma. Other types of chemicals that have been associated with scleroderma include polyvinyl chloride, benzine,toluene, and epoxy resins."

Lukew
Had a friend that passed away from Schleroderma. She had a sever case with the curled up hands and feet along with the tightening of the face and skin. She lingered for almost 3 years with the extreme symptoms.

I'm hoping that I can have tests done to find out if I do have the faulty gene..
Anyway back on topic.

I finally recieved a truthfull MSDS for a product that contains CAS# 64742-48-9 (Naphtha petroleum, isoparafin, hydrotreated) A popular chemical in blanket and roller washes
Chronic health effects listed : There has been some concern that this material causes cancer & mutations but there is not enough data to make an assesment
Substance accumulation, in the body may occur and can cause some concern following repeated or long tern occupational exposure.
Constant exposure over long periods to mixed hydrocarbons may produce stupor with diziness, weakness and visual disturbance, weight loss and anaemia, and reduced liver and kidney function. Skin exposure may result in drying and cracking redness of skin.
Chronic exposure to lighter hydrocarbons can cause nerve damage, peripheral neuropthy, bone dysfucntion and psyciatric disorders as well as damage to liver and kidneys.

Does this mean that all companies selling this product that has not listed the full health effects in their MSDS are open for litigation??

I'm hoping that I can have tests done to find out if I do have the faulty gene..
Anyway back on topic.

I finally recieved a truthfull MSDS for a product that contains CAS# 64742-48-9 (Naphtha petroleum, isoparafin, hydrotreated) A popular chemical in blanket and roller washes
Chronic health effects listed : There has been some concern that this material causes cancer & mutations but there is not enough data to make an assesment
Substance accumulation, in the body may occur and can cause some concern following repeated or long tern occupational exposure.
Constant exposure over long periods to mixed hydrocarbons may produce stupor with diziness, weakness and visual disturbance, weight loss and anaemia, and reduced liver and kidney function. Skin exposure may result in drying and cracking redness of skin.
Chronic exposure to lighter hydrocarbons can cause nerve damage, peripheral neuropthy, bone dysfucntion and psyciatric disorders as well as damage to liver and kidneys.

Does this mean that all companies selling this product that has not listed the full health effects in their MSDS are open for litigation??

I would think that the answer is Yes.

Cas # 64742-47-8 Is this chemical safe ? It is said that it is zero VOC, I would think that this is through exemption?

According to this EU Safety it is not to be used as a solvent. It is to be used as a fuel in a closed system.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/...m_hydrotreated_light_cas_64742-47-8_nl_en.pdf

This is an msds sheet of an approved Fogra wash

http://www.towerproducts.com/assets/files/Infinity Wash HMK-2 WM Jan 2011.pdf

Fogra approved a wash that has Cas # 64742-47-8 as an ingredient. While the Safety DATA Sheet states that it is not to be used as a solvent.

http://www-static.shell.com/static/...m_hydrotreated_light_cas_64742-47-8_nl_en.pdf

Who is telling the truth? How many others are there?

Who are we to trust with our health and well being?

The first section of the Fogra testing

1. Details of the compositions must be supplied to the “Berufsgenos- senschaft Druck und Papierverar- beitung” (Institution for statutory accident insurance and prevention in the printing and paper processing industry) (BG ETEM — BG Energie Textil Elektro Medienerzeugnisse) to enable the health risks to be assessed.

I need say NO MORE>

Last edited:
Green Printer you have a wealth of information.

That particular Cas# was the main ingredient in a roller and blanket wash Boettcher recomended to us as an environmentaly friendly VOC free & safe to use product.

All we asked for was a bio based vegetable roller wash, same thing we have asked multiple suppliers, they all say yes we have one that works well & they send through the MSDS which then contains zero vegetable base but instead contains two of the man naphtha cas#

Green Printer, you have PM

This is an msds sheet of an approved Fogra wash

http://www.towerproducts.com/assets/files/Infinity Wash HMK-2 WM Jan 2011.pdf

Fogra approved a wash that has Cas # 64742-47-8 as an ingredient. While the Safety DATA Sheet states that it is not to be used as a solvent.

Who is telling the truth? How many others are there?

Who are we to trust with our health and well being?

The first section of the Fogra testing

1. Details of the compositions must be supplied to the “Berufsgenos- senschaft Druck und Papierverar- beitung” (Institution for statutory accident insurance and prevention in the printing and paper processing industry) (BG ETEM – BG Energie Textil Elektro Medienerzeugnisse) to enable the health risks to be assessed.

I need say NO MORE>

Some more with the same problem.

https://portal.manroland.com/printcom/technicalDatasheetsPrintcom/printcom_wash_211P_SDS_us.pdf

https://portal.manroland.com/printcom/technicalDatasheetsPrintcom/printcom_wash_407X_SDS_en.pdf

https://portal.manroland.com/printcom/technicalDatasheetsPrintcom/printcom_wash_219B_SDS_en.pdf

https://portal.manroland.com/printc.../printcom_wash_413X_SDS-filterable_en.pdf.pdf

Here is the complete list check for yourself.

https://portal.manroland.com/printcom/safeen.aspx

The pressroom chemical products would all have to be Fogra certified or ManRoland would be violating there own warranty requirements.

Lab rats are treated better they get free food, water, housing and Medical attention.

Last edited:
Specific glycols are used in alcohol reduced / Free fountain solutions, talking to chemical suppliers they are needed to replicate IPA.
Correct me if I'm wrong,Glycols main function would be to reduce the dyne levels of the mixed fountain solution & to act as a solvent to clean the non image area of the plate.

I can see that there has been a very small group of manufacturers, from memory three to four companies that have developed alcohol free fountain solutions that contain zero solvent based glycols, assumed to be run with an ink that has had its properties adjusted to compensate.
Question
How does a non solvent based fountain solution clean the non image area of a plate ?

What has to be changed to the current ink properties to allow a non solvent based fount to work ?

At a gues these fountain solutions would be made up with a mix of surfactants ?
To my knowledge surfactants are used in many roller washes and serve two purposes, one to make it water miscerbal and two a solvent. Looking into surfactants further, the majority are derived from petroleum distillates. Has anyone looked into the envrionmental or health issues that arise from the distilling process ?
Or is it that these particular fountain solutions contain surfactants that are not derived from petrolleum distillates?

Adding to this is ink. A conversation I have had with several ink suppliers when talking about vegetable based inks is that although they are based on vegetable oils instead of petroleum oils, the pigmants are extracted through a petroleum source. So if you are to view it as a cradle to grave - environmental impact, they too have a detrimental impact on the environment & at some stage a health effect on humans who interact with the chemicals in the manufactering process.

Specific glycols are used in alcohol reduced / Free fountain solutions, talking to chemical suppliers they are needed to replicate IPA.
Correct me if I'm wrong,Glycols main function would be to reduce the dyne levels of the mixed fountain solution & to act as a solvent to clean the non image area of the plate.

I can see that there has been a very small group of manufacturers, from memory three to four companies that have developed alcohol free fountain solutions that contain zero solvent based glycols, assumed to be run with an ink that has had its properties adjusted to compensate.
Question
How does a non solvent based fountain solution clean the non image area of a plate ?

What has to be changed to the current ink properties to allow a non solvent based fount to work ?

At a gues these fountain solutions would be made up with a mix of surfactants ?
To my knowledge surfactants are used in many roller washes and serve two purposes, one to make it water miscerbal and two a solvent. Looking into surfactants further, the majority are derived from petroleum distillates. Has anyone looked into the envrionmental or health issues that arise from the distilling process ?
Or is it that these particular fountain solutions contain surfactants that are not derived from petrolleum distillates?

Adding to this is ink. A conversation I have had with several ink suppliers when talking about vegetable based inks is that although they are based on vegetable oils instead of petroleum oils, the pigmants are extracted through a petroleum source. So if you are to view it as a cradle to grave - environmental impact, they too have a detrimental impact on the environment & at some stage a health effect on humans who interact with the chemicals in the manufactering process.

This is known as a technological advantage. Why would a manufacturer reveal how it is done?

Sorry, that was bad wording in my previous post.
I wasn't meaning to ask for specific formulars, was just interested to know if the glycols would have been substituted with a mix of surfactants.
Most certainly would never expect a manufacturer to give out trade secret's

I'm starting to think that the current mainstream ink is based on old technology, having a build property to fight against the solvents found in most fountain solution mixtures, Glycols / IPA. It would be nice if the ink manufacture's looked at altering the ink structure, so that they would run better with the IPA free fountain solutions that contain minimal Glycols. And not just offer an ink that works that can withstand all founts..

I've tested standard inks with fountain solutions that have high glycol levels, and then fountain solutions with minimal glycols & once it gets to PMS colours the heavy glycol based fount cleans the plate and keeps it clean better than the one with minimal glycols..

Trying to think of what I could add to the PMS colours to help with this issue, so that a minimal glycol fount can be used.

Thinking about the chemical PPM levels a bit further. Has anyone ever had someone come in with a tester just to see how high the PPM levels are in your factory, durring peak production?

Our ceiling is so low that if you stand between decks to wash ink ducts up on our 4 colour 52, your head pretty much touches the ceiling. We have zero exhaust extraction fans, just an airconditioning unit, that ensures, it's not just us pressman that are being effected by the harsh chemicals, but the management & office workers too.Would be interesting to find out what the PPM levels get in our factory.

Thinking about the chemical PPM levels a bit further. Has anyone ever had someone come in with a tester just to see how high the PPM levels are in your factory, durring peak production?

Our ceiling is so low that if you stand between decks to wash ink ducts up on our 4 colour 52, your head pretty much touches the ceiling. We have zero exhaust extraction fans, just an airconditioning unit, that ensures, it's not just us pressman that are being effected by the harsh chemicals, but the management & office workers too.Would be interesting to find out what the PPM levels get in our factory.

If management thinks that the chemistry is not making it to the offices they are very ignorant. It is no different than second hand smoke.
Second hand fumes are absorbed into all wood,carpet,clothing,shoes, socks. hair,curtains,paper, insulation or any thing that is porous including people. If the facility completely disposes and removes all the chemistry causeing the problem it will be at least a couple of years before the largest portion has dissipated, some odors and smells will never go away.
So management if you think you are insulated from the pressroom chemistry think again.

Last edited:
If management thinks that the chemistry is not making it to the offices they are very ignorant. It is no different than second hand smoke.
Second hand fumes are absorbed into all wood,carpet,clothing,shoes, socks. hair,curtains,paper, insulation or any thing that is porous including people. If the facility completely disposes and removes all the chemistry causeing the problem it will be at least a couple of years before the largest portion has dissipated, some odors and smells will never go away.
So management if you think you are insulated from the pressroom chemistry think again.

Green Printer you forgot to mention that the flow of the fumes will always go from the higher concentration to the lower. It will do this until the concentrations are equal.

Lets say some days that there is small solvent spill and also that day the pressroom is really busy so there are lot of fumes in the plant. Everything in the shop that is porous will absorb the higher concentration until it has equalled out. This will stay that way until the shop pressroom concentration drops a little but then the fumes absorbed with go back into the air to try and equal out the concentration. This merry go round will continue until the solvents are totally removed from the facility.

Step two all workers in the shop have the fumes in their clothing, hair, skin, lunch boxes, shoes, etcetera. When you go home guess what, the fumes will migrate into your home until the concentration is the same as you and anything else you brought home from work. Just like Green Printer said second hand fumes migrate just like second hand smoke.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back