CIP3 at press is too red

It seems the press guys are saying the CIP3 file is too heavy, but the CIP3 file is just a low-res TIFF created by resampling the actual data appearing on the plate.

So the CIP3 file from Prinergy is accurate -- it just sounds like they want one individual separation "cut back," in the same way you'd run a dot gain compensation curve on a regular plate.

There is no way to do this in Prinergy (other than the fact that if a cutback curve is run on a plate, that curve will be reflected in the CIP3 file produced) and this would never be a recommended workflow, as it would then misrepresent the plate data.

The other thing is that CIP3 data isn't designed to do "absolute" metering of ink, it is designed to do a "relative" adjustment of each of the ink keys in each of the zones across the cylinder, as a good starting point for the run.

I would have a look in the gateway software that receives and formats the CIP3 for the press console. I don't know whether all press vendors provide the ability, but control over the baseline level of ink keys for an individual separation properly belongs in the gateway or console software.

It seems the press guys are saying the CIP3 file is too heavy, but the CIP3 file is just a low-res TIFF created by resampling the actual data appearing on the plate.

So the CIP3 file from Prinergy is accurate -- it just sounds like they want one individual separation "cut back," in the same way you'd run a dot gain compensation curve on a regular plate.

There is no way to do this in Prinergy (other than the fact that if a cutback curve is run on a plate, that curve will be reflected in the CIP3 file produced) and this would never be a recommended workflow, as it would then misrepresent the plate data.

The other thing is that CIP3 data isn't designed to do "absolute" metering of ink, it is designed to do a "relative" adjustment of each of the ink keys in each of the zones across the cylinder, as a good starting point for the run.

I would have a look in the gateway software that receives and formats the CIP3 for the press console. I don't know whether all press vendors provide the ability, but control over the baseline level of ink keys for an individual separation properly belongs in the gateway or console software.

Hi,
On Heidelberg press there are some characteristic curves to convert ink zone presettings to ink zone settings. These curves should be calibrated to the most used material types, inks, etc.

Regards,
ALbert

Data from Prepress (here is your Kodak system) is only for Ink coverage (%). The CIP3 software will process ink coverage to caculate ink zones for press machine. So I think you should look in your CIP3 software for that adjustment.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back