CIP3 to Press

vaugh6288

I am trying to figure out how to get the "best" CIP3 data to our 2 heilelberg presses (1 - SM74 and 1-SM102). We are currently using Koday Prinergy and Prepress Interface to send the CIP3 data to the presses. Everything is working properly, but I am not convinced that we are getting the most of the workflow. Out goal is to get makeready time down as low as we can. I have attached the Process Template from which we send CIP3 data from Prinergy to Prepress Interface. Does anyone see where I need to adjust anything?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-30 at 4.07.22 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-04-30 at 4.07.22 PM.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 293
I am trying to figure out how to get the "best" CIP3 data to our 2 heilelberg presses (1 - SM74 and 1-SM102). We are currently using Koday Prinergy and Prepress Interface to send the CIP3 data to the presses. Everything is working properly, but I am not convinced that we are getting the most of the workflow. Out goal is to get makeready time down as low as we can. I have attached the Process Template from which we send CIP3 data from Prinergy to Prepress Interface. Does anyone see where I need to adjust anything?

Just about all presetting programs do not calculate the preset values properly and even if they did, the press is not totally capable of delivering what the preset value requires.

Unfortunately, this is a limitation at this time which will affect you obtaining your goal. Close but not close enough and not as close as it could be.

What is your target for makeready time and impressions?

To say as low as possible is not a target. "As low as possible" has been used in marketing for twenty years and meant nothing. :)

To get the most out of CIP3 ink key presets you need to ensure that your ink keys have been calibrated as per manufacturers specs. Also that your rollers and dampeners are set correctly. Blankets packed correctly, Fountain solution should be in spec also. When all this has been checked then you should send a preset file to the press that would check your ink key openings, this could be in the form of a wedge test or solid bars that you will print and see if you have consistancy across the sheet. Presets only enable you or anyone else to get fairly level colour across the sheet providing your press is in good condition.
No ink preset will get you to perfect colour everytime. Most have a learning feature which is useless if your press is not kept in a consistant state.

Cornishpastythighs,

Do you know where I can get some information on transfer curves in my preset software (Heidelberg Prepress Interface)? I have been looking at the manual and it shows how to make transfer curves but I am completely unfamiliar with them ans what they do exactly. I am hoping that they are a possibly solution to getting the most accurate ink data to the press.

Thanks for your post by-the-way!

I am assuming that when you implemented CIP3 presetting your Heidelberg/Kodak rep conducted the CIP3/Press calibration for you at the time and built transfer curves into your system. If you need the process to be done correctly you should have them come back and complete the process again with you. You have to make sure your press is in its normal production specifications and that all your print units and ink keys etc are functioning correctly.

Cornishpastythighs brings up very valid points. For the optimum, the press needs to be in good working order. Once that is achieved, then tests are ran on the press to calibrate the Printing Characteristic Curve. This curve resides at the press console and calibrates how much ink should be released for x coverage. This varies based on ink/paper combinations. Depending on the age of press console, it may have multiple Printing Characteristic curves that are set for different printing conditions. As an example, coated versus uncoated print completely different and therefore having a curve for each will make you presetting information more accurate. When you have Heidelberg perform Color Management, this is part of the process. So we are doing more then just setting up a plate Dot Gain curve and a proofer profile. This added step will get you to color faster and more accurately. We call it Print Color Management. Ultimately, you would set up each press Printing Characteristic curves so that the the ink coverage file from prepress is common but the color is mapped to each press for that condition. Once we have that, we also set up plate curves and generate ICC profiles for your proofer. Some information on PCM (Print Color Management).Heidelberg - Print Color Management – PCM – “Professional Color Management”

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back