Client requesting a "heavier hit". What does this mean?

Gregg

We work with a publishing partner from the UK, and when we Americanize on of their titles, they often have specific guideline for the printing. For example, on a previous job they requested a double-hit of the 2 Neon Pantones being used. This current job, they are asking for a heavier hit of the the 2 Pantones being used (811u and 305u).

Is this request common? What does the printer need to do for a heavier hit?

Thanks in advance.

What does the printer need to do for a heavier hit?

Use a bigger hammer!

Just kidding, I couldn't resist. I would interpret that as a request to run a bit higher densities on press. But I would ask that they try to explain in different words what visual effect is it they desire? Or try selecting different PANTONES.

Al

Use a bigger hammer!

Just kidding, I couldn't resist. I would interpret that as a request to run a bit higher densities on press. But I would ask that they try to explain in different words what visual effect is it they desire? Or try selecting different PANTONES.

Al

I agree. We have had "double-hit" jobs before, and sometimes a new pantone needs to be selected. Just increasing the densities might not give the effect they are desiring (if that is in fact, what they are asking, which sounds like it is).

We have run the same color on 2 different units to get a more solid looking color especially neon they can be a real difficult to get good coverage.

Did anyone actually call the customer contact person and ask for an explanation? Better to seem ignorant up front and fulfill the request correctly than to guess at the answer, do it wrong, and lose money and credibility.

Thanks for all the feedback. From what I have gathered Double-Hit and Heavy-Hit are somewhat synonymous, just depends on how the printer decides to handle it; run densities higher, or create 2 plates for the same ink.

Just to clarify, I do not work at a printer, we are a publisher who will be passing these files along to a printer. The originating publisher (across the pond) is the one who established these print instructions. I am just trying to be more educated on the process.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Keep in mind that running the densities higher or using two hits of the same ink will probably not result in the same final appearance. There are limits to how high a density the press operator can run the inks before problems begin to appear. Running two hits of an ink, while more expensive to do, will usually give a better result.

Best, gordo

We had a client with the same demand. The whole job was a one time project. We ordered the PMS in opaque. The customer loved it. The ink was a pain to run and thankfully we've never had to open that can again.

It would be nice if they could give you solid and or tonal patch aimpoints in L*a*b* values, rather than a highly subjective description.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back