CMY no K?

gordo

Is it possible to create an ICC profile, or edit one so that it was just CMY without Black? What software can do it?

Is it possible to create an ICC profile, or edit one so that it was just CMY without Black? What software can do it?

Most ICC profile creation/generation software can handle this Gordo, however with the current trend for more K than less/none – some don’t offer this option anymore.

Stephen Marsh

Most ICC profile creation/generation software can handle this Gordo, however with the current trend for more K than less/none – some don’t offer this option anymore.

Stephen Marsh

Thanks. The question is coming from a student who is trying to do this on a limited budget as part of his thesis. So I was hoping there'd be a cheap alternative.

Thanks. The question is coming from a student who is trying to do this on a limited budget as part of his thesis. So I was hoping there'd be a cheap alternative.

Well, there is the old legacy Custom CMYK engine of Photoshop, however that is based on “secret sauce” and is not going to use true measurement/characterisation data.

The only other option that I can think of could be Argyll CMS, not sure if it can create CMY only and the learning curve may be steep (but it is free):

Argyll Color Management System Home Page

EDIT:

http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/fakeCMY.html

Stephen Marsh

HP is selling a module for its Indigo presses called EPM (Enhanced Productivity Mode) which converts a CMYK file to CMY at the RIP.
It is not perfect but it does a surprisingly decent job.

Most people cannot tell the difference when this is shown side by side to conventional profile.
HP is selling a module for its Indigo presses called EPM (Enhanced Productivity Mode) which converts a CMYK file to CMY at the RIP.
It is not perfect but it does a surprisingly decent job.

Gordo: The older Monaco Profiler (4.7.2) allows you to do this simply by setting your "Maximum black ink available for" to zero.

I guess this is only a "cheap" solution if you already have the program.

Heidelberg's Color Toolbox also has the option to create a CMY-only profile.
Not that this would be cheap, though ;)

Hi Gordo

I convert images time to time from CMYK or RGB to CMY only for flexo. Specially when there is very little black is needed, It does work well for me. Here is Pic of settings I use to do it in Photoshop. Custom-CMY-conversion.jpg

Hi Gordo

I convert images time to time from CMYK or RGB to CMY only for flexo. Specially when there is very little black is needed, It does work well for me. Here is Pic of settings I use to do it in Photoshop.View attachment 4867

Thanks. This student is looking for an ICC profile rather than what PShop does (secret sauce).

You can save the custom Photoshop separation setup as an ICC profile using the same menu where you access the Custom CMYK dialog box. Please see the attached screenshot.
Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 07.31.09.jpg

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back