CMYK on Ryobi 3302 with Poly Plates

VPrinter

Is anyone successfully printing 4-color process on a Ryobi 3302 with polyester plates? We are experimenting to see if it can be done but we are running into problems catching registration with plate stretch. We are using 5mil Polyester plates. We are thinking about trying the 8 mil polyester plates. Any thoughts on whether or not this can be done?

We used to do this years ago, but that was on a 3302HA with the auto plate loading and technotrans chiller, so I am guessing that it would still be possible for you, but a bit more challenging.

We got pretty good results at 175lpi, but it's hard work. The biggest issues are things like the registration is never going to be spot on with two passes through a portrait press, you don't have the roller power for solids and you will have real fun with heavy ink coverage (no sheet decurlers means terrible stacking and we had to be really careful with the ink tack to prevent sheets coming out of the grippers). We moved to a landscape 4 colour machine with all the automation years ago and it's a different world entirely. The quality, consistency and speed of the jobs are just light years different.

The world has move on and I can't imagine it would ever pay to do process work on a portrait 2-colour press these days. If you can't find a trade printer to do it cheaper and better I would be really surprised. Just not us, we're on a different continent!

Yes it can be done

Yes it can be done

Yes it can be done and it is done every day by many printing companies in my area. 5 mil plates are too thin for tight reggy use 8 mil. Make sure you use Riceobi blankets and install them properly. Make sure your pressures are right on the rollers and cylinders. Make sure all your grippers have the pads on them and they are set properly. The 3302 has 3 different configs also. The 7 belt model the 5 belt model and the newer 4 belt model. The 7 belt is OLD and reggy is ok, but that model had issues. The 5and 4 belt model is newer and in the hands of a good tech and pressman will create works of art.
Also consider your plate output machine, if it is a Lesstek2340 or DPM34 make sure they are right and not causing plate fit problems or cutting crooked plates.
These customers I am speaking of have these 3302/4’s paid for and the CTP systems paid for and they output work that looks better than a DI or IGEN. They just laugh at the Lesstek salesman who is trying to sell them a machine that costs $285,000 needs a $12,000 a year contract and $12,000 for a set of rollers. Plus a special room built to keep the DI’s little butt at the proper temperature. Not to mention the other rhetoric associated with these copier types of machines.
I will do 2 passes or 1 pass on a 3304 and make $1000 than do one pass just to make my payment on a new digital machine. That’s a smarter way to print!
OG

Just a few suggestions and opinions...... I, (we) have been very succesful with 8 mil plastic plates. Mainly on our GTO-52 5 color and 2 color. If you get right on top of each sheet and compare to newer RIP's/DTP systems, our DPX 40 definately needs to be upgraded. All in all though for what we are running, it looks great, and our customers are happy. We also have run 6 color jobs using 8mil DPX40 plates on our Itek 3985. It's not so much the poly plate that is an issue, but the registration guide's. Pushing the sheet for register is challenging for any operator on these presses. Pull guide systems give your operator the best chance for success.

Good Luck!

Jesus the printer where I work, has some how managed to talk the production manager into thinking that these such machines, can't do any jobs where you need to get plates in register, or there is any screens on the job,, somehow, he thinks its just for the very very basic text jobbing work and even then he will use the 1 colour itek to do 2 colour jobs. simply lazy...
for some reason the production manager has forgoten what we used to print on those machines till said printer came along..

Yes the machine will do it,, but why would you do CMYK on it,, send that to trade printers, and do all your PMS work on it.. sheet registration, can be tricky,, but if its keeped in a well maintained condition, all should be good.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back