color matching problem

Arshad

hi ,
Since last 2 weeks i am trying to print a job which has to be matched with the color print out ,what the client has given it to me, since we had told them that there will shade and color difference of cmyk print out and offset printing, but my client is very rigid and fussy about his product color and he is kinda stubborn on it,
i have a brand new machine heidelberg sm74, i have almost done proofing 10 times but out of which none of times i have succeded to achieve 95% result , as i am doing proofing in 6 ups cartons of different color flavours of my product so that i dont find any problem while printing in mass production, but out of six he like 2 or 3 and he says background matches up but my product photos are too dark or vice versa., i had toned up my plates to 57% of 50% dot to match up the color print but the background goes darker and product photos comes good, I am very much disturbed and i dont wanna loose such a important client too, please advice

regards.

hi ,
Since last 2 weeks i am trying to print a job which has to be matched with the color print out ,what the client has given it to me, since we had told them that there will shade and color difference of cmyk print out and offset printing, but my client is very rigid and fussy about his product color and he is kinda stubborn on it,
i have a brand new machine heidelberg sm74, i have almost done proofing 10 times but out of which none of times i have succeded to achieve 95% result , as i am doing proofing in 6 ups cartons of different color flavours of my product so that i dont find any problem while printing in mass production, but out of six he like 2 or 3 and he says background matches up but my product photos are too dark or vice versa., i had toned up my plates to 57% of 50% dot to match up the color print but the background goes darker and product photos comes good, I am very much disturbed and i dont wanna loose such a important client too, please advice.

This is where clear communication and industry (or even shop) standards are important.

If your customer's proof was done to an industry standard/specification and you print to the same industry standard/specification then you should be able to match the proof.

If you can print to match your proof then you would make proof of your client's job and you'd be able to know if you could match your customer's proof.

If you have an ICC profile of your presswork you could measure your customer's color and know whether you can match it or not.

Using plate curves is a global tone adjustment method. If you want to make specific changes use PhotoShop to adjust the images instead.

Your problems appear to be bigger than this particular job/client.

best, gordo

Last edited:
Making the proof according to industry standard is important.But if your client provide the proof by his own,then advise he use your proof as a reference.
But if he refuse to use it,you may consider to help him to optimize his workflow,to make his proof standard.
Adjusting the plate curve not a good method,using photoshop to correct the picture maybe better and easier

color matching issue

color matching issue

Assuming your client wants you to match their "flat" or solid color exactly with four process colors, this is virtually impossible. Reasons: 1. Pigments used in customers color contain pigments not contained in CMYK. 2. Print variations of 4 "tinted" colors versus a flat color 3. Amount of ink needed to run to standard densities. 4. Effect of other process areas on sheet 5. Variations due to the normal/mechanical printing process.

I had a similar problem years ago when clients who wanted a much closer PMS match using process colors to a solid. Two approaches I took to resolve: 1. Brought in a five color press, 2. Showed them a then just published PMS ink book showing the degree of proximity that one could expect using process colors to match a pms swatch.

Please feel free to discuss further if you like: 561-641-6662

Leo Klebanow
561-641-6662
email: [email protected]

We really don't have enough information to advise, but in general these problems derive from the lack of a
proper proof and/or proper controls on press. A good proof closely resembles output on the target press and paper. If you are making such a proof (and this is not assumed) the problem is in the customer's proof; if not the problem lies in your proof and probably the customer's proof as well.

The customer's expectations may or may not be reasonable. He may be calling out PMS colors while specifying a 4-C job. He may even be providing a colorful print of an RGB file with colors that can't be replicated in CMYK. Does his proof have a verification label that shows it's accurate? Does yours?

Where are you located? Perhaps someone on this forum can help you, b ut we'll need far more information than you've provided.

Mike Strickler
MSP Graphic Services

1. Customer pro

Lenny R.

Lenny R.

When this happens on my press it's usually because the customer's proof was printed with the wrong profile set, or they are trying to match a pantone color that is outside of the cmyk color gamut.
If they are that concerned about matching they're proof you need to evaluate how your print is wrong and adjust the file ie. more magenta or less cyan etc. Hopefully you'll make them pay for all of the extra plates.
My guess is that it was done by a web designer who's trying to get into print and doesn't know enough to pull it off.

Even when proper color controls and proofing are present there occasionally will come along a customer who is impossible to please. I hope this is not your situation.

You say out of 6-up he accepts 2 or 3? Are the colours in the others out of gamut from normal printing? Could you explain the colours a little, bright, pastels? Are the ones he accepts all similar?

Normally if you have a sheet you are trying to print if it's in the press it is an "all or nothing" tinkering with the press (deviating from standard) will perhaps make some images better at the expense of others becoming less acceptable. This is why it is important to have a proofer to show what you can expect, and do not image plates until the customer is satisfied with the proof. If the proof is not satisfactory you need to go back to the design program to make changes, this is the only way you can change different images individually.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back