Color Proofing out of Calibration

Lutzie32

I have been fighting my Epson Stylus Pro 7800 for a couple weeks now. My colors are way out. All of my blues are purple. It seems that my Magenta is way to strong and Cyan is too low, also my yellow looks dirty and has a green tint to them. I am having customers start to get concerned when they see this because they know thats what we usually match on press. The funny thing is if I do not go in and photoshop the files to look good on the proofs they are perfect on press. Is there anything I can do to adjust the color of my proofs? I am using Proofmaster Mezzo program that is running the Epson after it is ripped in Rampage V12. Anyone got any suggestions?

Probably you've done these things on the 7800 already, but just in case:

Run a nozzle check: Menu/Test Print/Nozzle Check/Print
Do a power cleaning: Menu/Maintenance/Power Cleaning

Our 7880 has color banding occasionally, and without warning. We just run a nozzle check and that usually fixes it for awhile.

Hope this helps--I know nothing of Proofmaster Mezzo or Rampage. If you have support for any of this, give them a call.

I am using Proofmaster Mezzo program that is running the Epson after it is ripped in Rampage V12. Anyone got any suggestions?

I have no idea as to what the capabilities of Proofmaster Mezzo are, color management or otherwise. They could be awesome and you need read the part of the manual that explains how to measure a target and modify the color tables / ICC profile to adjust how the printer will print...

or...

you are expert in all the above and the software is not up for the job.

When I worked for Compose ( don't work for them anymore, work for SmartSoft ) - we sold a product that took the riped 1 bit tiff file that you would make you plates with and color managed that to print on the Epson.

Compose Color Blog: With Star Proof 6 spot color matching is a breeze

Customers liked it, and most used it to do their G7 certification.

I am no longer involved with the process, this application or company, but it was a great solution. Sorry I can't be of more help and best of luck...

I agree with the previous two posts. First make sure that your Epson is printing correctly with a nozzle check, head alignment or whatever is needed and perform any necessary maintenance via the front panel or Epson utility software controls. Then you will need to look into your RIP software to see if there is a calibration/linerization or similar function where you will measure in a chart to bring your printer back to the known baseline from where the original printer ICC profile was created (which presumes that you have not used different ink, paper or resulution).

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back