combining or averaging icc profiles

puru.deo

I have 5 different icm printer profiles generated from a patch, i want to combine them all into into one profile something like an average of all printer's profiles. which I will eventually use as "the profile" henceforth.

Is there a way to combine/average 5 icc profiles into one?

I don't think that I understand the OP 100%, however I would imagine that you would be averaging the original measurement data that was used to create the 5 profiles. If you don't have the measurement data files, some profiles contain the measurement data and it can be extracted in some software.

Stephen Marsh

I am with Stephen. I assume that you want one profile for several machines in your plant? Pay attention to the differences between the data sets (maybe detailed analysis of each profile is worth too), beware of just simple averaging of the unexplored data. Keep in mind that one profile can by more important than other. It is not easy to get really usable result. By my experience, it is better to arrange several new print runs, and catch as more samples, as you can. Keep in mind, that data in the profiles may not reflect the real press behavior (are you familiar with the way which profiles was created?)
All the best
Kamil

I don't think that I understand the OP 100%, however I would imagine that you would be averaging the original measurement data that was used to create the 5 profiles. If you don't have the measurement data files, some profiles contain the measurement data and it can be extracted in some software.

Stephen Marsh

Sure.

Open a tif of a profiling target that has no gaps or lines or anything but the patches in Photoshop.
Duplicate the file so that you have a target for each profile.
ASSIGN each profile to a target.
CONVERT to Lab using the absolute colorimetric rendering intent.
Save each file.
Open each file in ColorLab or ColorThink and you can easily extract the Lab data as CGATS compliant text files.
Take the text files into your favorite profiling app and ¡Voila!

I remember posting a reply on here, somehow seems to be lost.. here it goes again

Thanks to all of you.
Stephen, that is what I ended up doing. Took the measurements from the patches again in .txt format, averaged it out and created a new profile.

Kamil, I have all the charts after calibration and dE measurement

Thanks Rich,
This seems really exciting, since I can see through each process of what is happening on the data and profiles. As opposed to let the software do all the calculations and I don't see what exactly happened :)

With BasICColor Print 3 you can simply drag and drop multiple profiles onto the profile preset of your choice and it will make a new profile based on those preset settings (for TAC, GCR, etc..)

Matt Louis

Open a tif of a profiling target that has no gaps or lines or anything but the patches in Photoshop.
Duplicate the file so that you have a target for each profile.
ASSIGN each profile to a target.
CONVERT to Lab using the absolute colorimetric rendering intent.
Save each file.
Open each file in ColorLab or ColorThink and you can easily extract the Lab data as CGATS compliant text files.
Take the text files into your favorite profiling app and ¡Voila!

You can skip the Photoshop step by opening the CMYK reference file in ColorThink and assign the individual profiles using Abs. Col. rendering, extract Lab data, etc....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back