Consistant color conversion

What are others doing to achieve consistent CMYK values when converting Pantone colors? After running some tests, I've gotten 3 different CMYK values for a Pantone color depending on where the conversion takes place.
We have operators converting in Acrobat DC using the preflight controls using GRACoL 2006 settings, some using Pitstop Action Lists and some letting the Esko AE convert them.
I can even get completely different values if I reference the values from Illustrator 5's Pantone Solid Coated values and from the new Color Bridge Coated and Color Bridge Uncoated values.

What are others doing to achieve consistent CMYK values when converting Pantone colors? After running some tests, I've gotten 3 different CMYK values for a Pantone color depending on where the conversion takes place.
We have operators converting in Acrobat DC using the preflight controls using GRACoL 2006 settings, some using Pitstop Action Lists and some letting the Esko AE convert them.
I can even get completely different values if I reference the values from Illustrator 5's Pantone Solid Coated values and from the new Color Bridge Coated and Color Bridge Uncoated values.

You'll get the best results from a profile of your print characteristic rather than a canned profile/look up table. Some printers use their own color atlas to determine the CMYK recipes.

Are you talking application or output? The output process will be dependent upon the RIP, most have the ability to create custom look up tables. Either way whether they use LAB, RGB or CMYK to handle the conversion depends on the RIP. The current Pantone approved method is LAB.

Last edited:
If you use CMYK for converting your spot colors your PDF will be tagged with one set of values and another setoff values if you use LAB for converting your spot colors. Also depending on when you bought your RIP the spot color tables can vary. I believe CorelDraw and Adobe CC by default are now using LAB for spot color conversions, I know Corel has for the last 7 or 8 years, Adobe a bit later.

Acrobat DC and PitStop use different Pantone look-up tables (if your color conversion is set to use the look-up tables and not the alternate values). I don't know what Automation Engine uses for reference values.

Illustrator 5's tables are WAAAAAAAAY outdated.

rich Apollo, we have shifted all spot color conversions to LAB and different RIP processes can be a nightmare unless they have updated to LAB

Acrobat DC and PitStop use different Pantone look-up tables (if your color conversion is set to use the look-up tables and not the alternate values).

The good new is that one can import the standard Lab based Pantone library files into PitStop Pro, even if it does not ship with them!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
The good new is that one can import the standard Lab based Pantone library files into PitStop Pro, even if it does not ship with them!

Stephen Marsh

Aye. That is a good feature, though I don't think most folks know about it.

David, using Lab is a good start, but you have to be sure that all of your apps are looking at the SAME reference Lab values. If one app is using PMS v1, another using PMS v2, and a third using PANTONE+, then they're all using different starting points for conversion, regardless of the color mode.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back