Contract proofing for offset using Indigo, Igen, or Nexpress

amccolor

Hi all,

We are a commercial printer looking at the Indigo 5500, Igen3 or Nexpress. In addition to the digital / short run work, we are hoping to be able to use it for contract proofing of our offset jobs. We are currently running epsons and they have been a great match to press.

Are these machines stable enough to act as contract proofers as well as digital presses?

Thank you,

Anton Cheng
AMC Colorgrafix
[email protected]

That's a pretty complex topic and IMO and from our experience the answer is "depends".

With the iGen3, if it's been retrofitted with ACQS, you may be able to get acceptable results with the right processes in place, depending on the accuracy and type of proof you want. For example, if you want FOGRA39 proofs to a specific standard, then I don't think you'll achieve that consistently. If you want screened proofs, ditto. On the other hand, if you want a high volume of colour proofs and can accept a relatively wide colour variation range, then I think that's achievable. For obvious reasons, you will not be able to proof pantones.

I'm less sure on the other presses, but think the basic principle will be the same.

Also, bear in mind that as this will be a different RIP to your CTP you can and -will- get variations due to the RIPs.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Keep the Epsons for proofing, I think you will get too many variations based on humidity and temperature alone.

Hi all,

We are a commercial printer looking at the Indigo 5500, Igen3 or Nexpress. In addition to the digital / short run work, we are hoping to be able to use it for contract proofing of our offset jobs. We are currently running epsons and they have been a great match to press.

Are these machines stable enough to act as contract proofers as well as digital presses?

Thank you,

Anton Cheng
AMC Colorgrafix
[email protected]

Hi Anton,

You should definitely be looking at MGI's Meteor DP60 Pro. Since you are looking at a digital press which is also going to act as a contract proof, the DP60 Pro is perfect for the following reasons:-

1) DP60 Pro is FOGRA (ISO 12647-7) certified for fidelity, homogeneity and consistency. DP60 Pro is certified with Validation Print Creation 22863 which is basis of validation for Proofs.
2) DP60 Pro prints sizes of 13 x 26" and 13 x 40" in production mode.
3) Resolution is 2400 dpi/200 lpi
4) DP60 Pro can print on a variety of substrates which are as under: -
Paper: 70 gsm up to 350 gsm/ 200 lb bond up to 130 lb cover/194 lb index
Bristol, Matte, Coated, Kromekote, Art, Bond, Textured, Labels, Canvas, Buckram

Plastics: 100 microns up to 400 microns/4 mil up to 16 mil
PVC (Coated and Uncoated), Polyester, Polycarbonate, Lexan, PET, Teslin, Artisyn, Vinyl

Envelopes: - C4, C5, C6, DL (With/Without Window)
5) High Capacity Pneumatic Loader
Up to 3000 sheets of 330 mm x 650 mm/ 13" x 26"
Offset feed table with thermo regulated air feed system
High adjustment precision (± 0.2 mm)
Ultrasonic Double Sheet Detection System
Infrared Lamp System (IRLS)

THE BEST OF ALL IS THAT IT IS CHEAPER THAN HP INDIGO, XEROX AND KODAK.

I have seen a couple of high end OFFSET PRINTERS using DP60 Pro for their contract proofs. DP60 definitely can be calibrated successfully to match the closest to your offset prints.

You should definitely call MGI and go for a demo before you make a buying decision.

Trust me and give this press a shot. You will be very much surprised with the punch it packs. I definitely was :)

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back