Conventional Dampening Covers

Our presses are using a conventional dampening system with a nylon based molleton dampening cover. According to our operator, the dampening cover we are using is "too slippery" when wet making it difficult for him to control the water during the press run.

Does anyone have this sample problem? We are planning on using a different material ( such as cotton ) as our dampening sleeves and was also wondering what are the pros and cons of using a nylon vs a cotton dampening sleeve.

Also, has anyone have any experience with using the shrinkable dampening cover?

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you're using now, but for the ductor I use to have very good luck with a material called "Red 1". You'd put it on at the end of a shift, run it under hot water and it would shrink up to the roller overnight. You'd still want to tie the ends, but it made for a tight fit.

PRISCO (Printer's Service Company) also made the same type of cover that was green.

For the water form rollers I always used the shrinkable paper sleeves that were made by 3m at the time. I believe someone else is making them now. The trick with the paper sleeves is to save the wrapper that they come in and store the rollers in them at the end of a shift. (if it's a one shift operation). This will keep them slightly moist overnight and they'll last longer. It's also important to keep them clean. We use to use a plate cleaner and a scrub brush in the sink.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Though it's been about 15 years since I've ran a press with covered rollers, I also used "Red 1" most of the time. We also had covers with a tight nap,made of a nylon type material,colored white (I can't remember the name),though we did'nt run that too often.
As I remember the Reds were a thicker cover,so they retained more water then our thinner white ones. The reds were slower reacting to small water adjustments,but more stable on water supply at higher speeds,or longer runs.

NorthernLights,
I use Jomac covers on my Hamada 775. the Nylon covers require a larger diameter waterform so, using the thicker "cotton" molletons will require the smaller diameter rollers. The nylon covers are not as forgiving as the thicker molletons because they do not carry as much water. But the trade off is: thicker molletons even the Red 1 variety will pick up ink faster, cause more color contamination and produce a patern on the image area with regard to solids and reverses. The whole scenario can be avoided with three simple words: Integrated Water System. Expensive yes, easier to run, faster make ready, less waste and less time over all. This can be a measurable improvement in productivity and make gains in the net operating income over time. The question is this: are you going to sell the business in the next year to eighteen months or are you in it for the long haul?
Warren

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back