Convert 0-0-0 RGB black for HP Indigo

Hi there!

We have a HP Indigo 5500, which runs with the built in RIP. Unfortunately, this RIP lacks a lot of features, that even small office printers have. One of the most annoying things is that if I submit a PDF file with images or text in RGB 0-0-0, the RIP outputs it as CMYK 100-100-100-100, and anyone with an Indigo knows what happens if someone touches the paper afterwards....!

So, "basically" I need something to convert my PDF files containing this kind of RGB black to CMYK black (and preferrably also grays, where the RGB values are similar). I know I can do this using color conversion in Acrobat, but I need something to do it automatically, without it costing a fortune - anyone?

Kind regards,
Tommy

If keeping cost down is a concern, then it would appear that Acrobat Pro 9 or X would be the best place to start (it sounds as if you have Acrobat Pro).

One can create a custom preflight fix, to convert to CMYK using preserve black. Next, a batch process can be built that runs the custom preflight fix on a source folder of input files, or a droplet can be made.

There are trade-offs, a more expensive up front solution than the above may be cheaper in the long run. You will have to experiment and see what works.

Best,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back