Converting PMS colors to cmyk

I have encountered an issue and I hoping someone as an answer.

I have a PDF file that is made out of 3 PMS colors that need to be converted to cmyk. I can convert them but the colors do not match that of the PANTONE Solid to Process guide. For example, the main color is PANTONE Process Blue which converts to 100c 10m 0y 10k in the book. But when I convert the color it comes out 79c 30m 0y 21k.

I am using the action convert Spot color to CMYK.

Any help would be appreciated.

Damien

Pantone colours are probably converted to your ICC profile from Lab values. If colour management is set up correct this can give better results than the generic CMYK values (that are calculated from a generic printing condition, eg SWOP coated ad 150lpi)

I tried both swop and Pantone 150 conversion to cmyk, both came out the same. I then turned color management off in pitstop. And the same results. Shouldn't it convert to the standard pms conversion?
Is there a way to set Pitstop up to only convert to PMS conversion only?

What version of Pitstop and Acrobat are you using? In pitstop what is the alternate space for the Pantone Colour?
In the Acrobat forum there is the way to convert spot colours using acrobat.

I am using Acrobat 8.1.2 and Pitstop 7.2. Not sure on the Pantone color space. Color management are as follows. Gray=Generic Enfocus Gray, RGB=Adobe RGB (1998), CMYK=US Web Coated (SWOP)v2, LAB=Generic Enfocus Lab.

I have encountered an issue and I hoping someone as an answer.

I have a PDF file that is made out of 3 PMS colors that need to be converted to cmyk. I can convert them but the colors do not match that of the PANTONE Solid to Process guide. For example, the main color is PANTONE Process Blue which converts to 100c 10m 0y 10k in the book. But when I convert the color it comes out 79c 30m 0y 21k.

I am using the action convert Spot color to CMYK.

Any help would be appreciated.

Damien

Try updating your version of PitStop Professional to 7.52. In that version some specifc color management features were introduced.
path to update:
partners.enfocus.com - /releasedsoftware/archive/pitstop/752/

I am using Acrobat 8.1.2 and Pitstop 7.2. Not sure on the Pantone color space. Color management are as follows. Gray=Generic Enfocus Gray, RGB=Adobe RGB (1998), CMYK=US Web Coated (SWOP)v2, LAB=Generic Enfocus Lab.

Is the tint of the spot color 100%? Because that what you will see in the Pantone book.
You can check the tint in the Inspector (before you convert to CMYK)

Cheers,
Brain

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back