Cost of JDF driven cutters and folders??

Skinflint

Does anyone know the avg costs of these JDF drive devices?
I realize there is a broad spectrum of equipment sizes and configurations, but what would JDF add to the cost of devices?

"These" JDF devices ? Some JDF "devices" are simply software to process JDF files. For example, our PressWise system has a option to generate a JDF file that is was developed to pass certain printing related details for a job to a JDF Processor that expresses someting very simple - like what paper to select from which tray, where to fetch the imposed PDF file to print with (it is a URL in the JDF file ) and how many copies to print. That is it. We don't charge "extra" for that. I don't think HP charges extra for the Indigo DFE to have the JDF Processor either.

But if we are thinking "what about a cutting or folding machine" - then the "extra" cost might be - developing a JDF and JMF software ( to process files and messages ) - which requires some physical or wireless connectivity to a network and some computer to process this data and run the machine. So, added costs would be a computer, a network connectivity system ( EtherNet or WiFi ) and software development.

Attachments

• JDF_UI.jpg
    JDF_UI.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 241
Horizon appears to have more mature JDF support than some competitors. Ultimate Technographics www.imposition.com has some interesting integrations that they advertise and might be able to provide guidance.

We had a Mohr 80 NET cutter, which had a premium 6000 USD on the price badge over the 'basic' model. It came with a Windows software, which had some very advanced functions to optimize the cutting workflow and drive the cutter. It wasn't 'JDF capable' as far as I know, though.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back