Could any CREO users help me out? (KM6500)

dagoof

I'm used to working on the Fiery, but now on the IC304 Creo (v2.1). I read so many thing about how great it is, but I'm finding everything a major battle compared to the Fiery! I've got quite a few niggling issues I was hoping someone could help with....

1) Copy parameters? I do a lot of jobs with the same parameters - on the fiery I can save the profile and apply it to each new job that comes through (size, orientation etc). I see there's paper profiles, but can't figure how to save/apply common parameters.

2) Quality - again related to parameters, but would be nice if the RIP would default to high quality for the A4 stuff that's going straight through the machine without any adjustment. Normal's not good enough!

3) a niggle, but I run some stuff from Pagemaker7 (I know, I know). The Fiery never had a problem with how the orientation was set in the driver (normal/transverse) an orientated automatically but the Creo always sticks to the literal. It slows things no end.

4) Finisher - got the folding saddle stitcher. Would like to be able to half-fold A4 sheets. Going through the RIP options, the only finishing options seem to be under 'imposition' and that's just saddle stitch, perfect bind etc, no half fold (though I can do it on a copy from the touchscreen).

Help convert me to a Creo worshipper!

(we have creo with Xerox Colour 1000 but I guess the RIP will be more or less the same for all presses/printers)
ad 1) there is no preset function like in the fiery, you rather need to use virtual printers and hotfolders; go to tools in the main menu at the top and select virtual printers, create new with an appropriate name and edit it to your needs, save and close. now in the job queue (storage) right click a job you want to apply a preset parameters to, there should be the option “resubmit to” and you can choose a virtual printer from the list; this will apply the virtual printer parameters to the job – actually a copy of the job (it will duplicate it automatically).
This feature was not there from the beginning, it was added maybe a year ago or so…
Also, for any virtual printer you create a hotfolder is automatically created (and a driver installer as well)
Ad 2) how do you submit your jobs? Either way (driver or hotfolder), you should be able to modify one of the basic queues (spool store, process store and process print) or install any driver you need that uses desired default settings.
Ad 3) don’t really have any issues with it, we submit all jobs via hotfolders and the orientation is always properly recognised. This might be a bug.
Ad 4) just select the output tray to the booklet maker (I think you do it in the “finishing” tab – sorry, I am writing from the memory only), but do not check the “stitch” box
As for worshiping creo: if you print a lot of different jobs (=with different setting for each), creo is not the fastest and easiest to work with; for this type of work I think fiery and its Command Workstation is better – I love that I can drag and drop files to it and then select multiple files and change properties for all of them and then only adjust final details for each job. Creo is more reliable (better hardware!) and fastest and more intelligent RIP though (IMO).

Thanks Nirupakah, very helpful, I'll see how I get on.

Might sound crazy, but I'm presuming you can't install CW5 on a creo (probably looks for the fiery image board)?

well, you can actually install CW on a creo RIP server - it can be installed on any ms windows driven computer (and then connected to the RIP server by inputting its IP adress). but that is it, you wont be able to send jobs through it i am afraid... CW is really just a command interface, without the EFI RIP server it is useless.

I figured as much, with CW :(

I've managed to get the virtual printers set up and installed (small niggle is it's over-riding the specified paper size) but don't seem to have the 'resubmit to' option on v2.1 - not sure if any other c6500 users can comment?

I'm really regretting the Creo unfortunately - even simple things like tray alignment or re-naming jobs in storage aren't evident. It's just no-where near as versatile!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back