Xerox DC242, HiCap feeder, Pro finisher - Issues with grey

Che.c, I didnt find your post harsh at all. Infact a very good post. The part you finished with, to be frank I am the type that enjoys my work especially one that prints nicely and looks the part once finished. But these obstacles kill me.

There is no boss really as it is my own business and I am the one that operates the machine. Dont get me wrong, the machine does make me good money so the decision to get our own digital machine was a great idea but I want to be able to print stuff more the way I envisage and the way i have it on our HIPS screens

Yes you would be right in saying i seem lost to an extent but mainly on stuff I am expecting/wanting my machine to do but am clueless how to do it. The basics as you have highlighted such as job setup etc and basic operation of the machine is no problem and shouldnt be otherwise no point having the machine.

Our techies up here to be honest are rubbish, I ask them what such and such options are and do and am generally never given a reason. The only thing they ever tell me is "such options will make a difference". They are great when it comes to solving a mechanical and fault issues such as fuser overheat errors, registration, drum issues. I have learnt a fair amount in terms of what goes wrong why and how to sort it out but never have been explained the operational sides of things

I try to educate myself on the machine but dont have much material to do so. I would as some people class, myself to be boring in that i do like reading up on stuff but I have no manuals given to me or anything.

The point you made about the xerox paper, I have kallkwik, prontoprint and several other businesses in our region who agree the paper is rubbish. In all honesty other than 120-170gsm coated their paper is rubbish but dont know, you guys maybe getting stock coming from a different mill. To the extent our engineers say the paper is rubbish. Infact even our largest Xerox paper stockist up north agreed they had issues with some "stock". Some of my previous issues were solved since i moved to stocks such as clairalfa and creator.

Look I have a design agency, our primary objective in business is design. The print is a bonus and to test the water with an "entry level" machine, we decided the dc242 is best for our needs. We have been told many things over time about how great and fantastic these machines are where as in reality they are simply copiers on steroids. But a person new to these machines such as ourselves would get confused when told so many different stories.

What would you advise, fair enough educating myself on the machine is a good start but where can i get manuals and walk throughs on the CWS since i have jack all to read up on. Our techies are rubbish, know very little more than us in operating the machine. What region are you from btw as we have a load of monkeys up here working for Xerox.

I really want to learn more about my machine but struggle to do so other than trial and test combinations.

Cheers

We have been told many things over time about how great and fantastic these machines are where as in reality they are simply copiers on steroids
+1! People often seem to forget that.. However it is a good choice of machine for entry level digital.

Interesting to hear your experiences on the stock, I have definitely found the opposite! Consumables last longer, quality better etc on the Xerox. Wasn't particularly impressed by Creator I gotta say. Think is all from the same mills though.

Look I have a design agency, our primary objective in business is design. The print is a bonus

Well, yes, fair enough. Let me put it this way, have you seen the 'design' that printers often produce? That equation tends to cut both ways... Neither printers nor designers tend to see or appreciate the skill that goes into both trades. Or the trouble they give each other!
For what it's worth, my advice would be, leave the printing to the printers and the design to the designers. They're both very different disciplines. You need a lot of plant to produce good print over a range of different finishes.

That said..

I'm based in Belfast, working with techs trained direct by Xerox. We are planning on upgrading machine soon and have ruled out a supplier because they will not be using Xerox techs. That said, the techs have not given me help on the software side of things, you're talking chocolate teapot territory there - they know how the machines work and how to fix them, but not how to run them. You have to apply what you can learn from them to your daily jobs.

If you're willing to put the effort into learning then you'll be able to get the hang of it. The manuals for the server and CWS etc are on the Xerox website and should also be on your original installation CDs. If you cannot find them, I can email them to you from work.

Suggested reading (as in Google :rolleyes:)
- Colour theory (that'll help with CWS)
- Print screen theory (line, dot, stochastic etc)
- Printing history and development of technology (helps put everything in context)
- Trawl the forums and read old threads. People tend to have the same problems!

The more you know about print, the better. You'll be going "Why isn't there an option for this!?" "Why can't I use this screen?!" instead of "What the hell does that option mean?"

Some general advice
- Every problem (hardware&software) you sort out remember how you fixed it, what caused it and most importantly why your solution worked
- Do not patch your RIP unless it is to fix a specific problem
- Keep at the very least, a full set of drums, a fresh fuser, a used fuser, several toners of each colour, several waste toner bottles and staples.
- Don't be afraid to do a visual inspection of drums, fuser, rollers if you think something is up

Xerox are asshats. They do not care about you. They do not care about your problems. They care that you pay on time. You're on your own unless you pay the big money for the production boxes and the pro RIP. Don't expect any help from them unless you pay - not counting the techs which, in my experience, are competent and helpful.

Trial and error is kind of the way the learning goes. But as I said recently to our noob finisher
"did you change that setting on the machine?"
"yes"
"do you know what it does?"
"no"
"then don't f*cking touch it!"

Find out how the machine works, how the software works, how the print process works and ye'll know what the buttons do ;)

hi there guys iam new to this forum but not to the Xerox machines..
Iam a tech here in Australia and service these m/c's every day..
I have read all the posts and have came across the problem with the grey that your are talking about..
All i will say sounds like the tech's you guys have up there are SHIT..
This problem was around when the m/c's were fist released..
There are mods for this problem..
If you send me a e-mail or link of the prints so i can make 100% sure of what you need to do to your m/c, I will them try to help you out as much as i can step by step..
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back