Create a "read-only", printable PDF

Is it possible to create a "read-only" (locked) printable pdf.

When I drop a security-enabled Adobe Pdf in my Agfa Prepress V6 CTP workflow, it flushes it as expected.
Is there anyway to lock the content and still print the PDF?

thks
joe

I think when you apply security you can choose various levels. Maybe make sure it a printable passworded PDF...?

There are different levels of security settings when you create the PDF. I have always used PDF Key Pro because generally when I get a PDF locked like that it has come through 15 different departments generally from a huge corporation and fighting your way back up the chain to whomever locked it is just not worth the fight.

Last edited:
Thanks guys/gals for the quick responses.... ultimately any digital file is unlockable/editable.

As it stands, I'm the end cog in a vast government bureaucratic quagmire and the top dogs' assistant wants to create a lockable pdf that she can submit to a variety of media/organizations without fear that the contents will be edited... but she still wants the pdf to be printable to desktop printers and various commercial printing enterprises as an ad or insert.

Is it a normal part of your workflow to "hack" locked pdfs?
And, do all PDF workflows reject locked pdfs?

thks
joe

Printing standards don't allow locks, but if it is printable it is hackable.

BTW "top dog" if a "she" must be a "bitch"? ;p

Business as Usual

Business as Usual

As always, the corporate "higher-ups" have no clue.

"She" is more interested in non-existant security as opposed to learning about what she is actually trying to "protect"

There isn't a digital file that is secure. No such thing.

If you can't hack it, there is someone who can.

The workflow has to alter the PDF thus it cannot be locked. As I said earlier I would just purchase PDF Key Pro and move the job on it's way.

If you avoid causing any friction along that chain of command about the protected PDF you are also more likely to keep repeat work as other printers may fight it out rather than appease and please.

The workflow has to alter the PDF thus it cannot be locked. As I said earlier I would just purchase PDF Key Pro and move the job on it's way.

If you avoid causing any friction along that chain of command about the protected PDF you are also more likely to keep repeat work as other printers may fight it out rather than appease and please.

Bingo! My thoughts exactly, hence the link to PDFKey. ; )

Don't forget you can open a PDF with colour sync then resave it, strips all security! Works most of the time.

A

I can't imagine that AGFA Apogee would not provide a method to honor the security setting within a PDF where editing is disallowed but printing is allowed. This (of course) would require a change in your settings in Apogee and NOT require that the PDF comply with PDF/X. It is PDF/X that prohibits Security settings, and when you use a preflight profile that encounters such an object, it will properly flush it - but as with any vendor who licenses the Enfocus PitStop PDF Libraries, I would be surprised to learn that this sort of check can't be "turned off" - where you could create a custom JT.

I wanted to share that I once encountered a company that insisted on RIPing all pages to 900 ppi 1 bit TIFFs and making PDF files of that - hoping to insure that this would prevent people from editing. Of course, once I showed them that Adobe Standard and Pro versions offer OCR, they realized this was a waste of time.

I once did a large scan to PDF project where they wanted their cake and eat it to - that is, they wanted to create PDF files of paper documents by scanning them that were search-able PDF documents, and could be printed, but could not be edited.

Michael Jahn's blog

This is nearly impossible without putting in place some system that offers different levels of permissions - one option is of course Adobe LiveCycle Rights Management ES software

Adobe - LiveCycle Rights Management ES

-- but there are many others (simply search Google for "PDF Security")

hope this helps !

If you can't edit you can't trap, flatten, color convert, profile, possibly even RIP or do any of the things a controllable prepress process requires. Yes, there are borderline insane customers who think they are doing themselves a favor providing you 1-bitt tiffs or locked PDFs. These customers are the same fringe who think those color bars on the marks panel are going to help us print their piece. The same ones who treat you with contempt when you tell them they haven't provided a bleed. The only time it EVER makes sense to provide 1-bit TIFFs to a printer is from another printer itself! This being in the case of a platesetter being down and having plates made by an outside provider guaranteeing the job is RIPed the same way it normally would be thus keeping the process within most of its controls.

If you want your job printed and printed right let the professionals do their job. Do not subvert us, tell us how to do our jobs or prevent us from doing our jobs with locked PDFs and/or pre-rasterized files. The more restrictions you put on a pre-flight or prepress operator the more likely your job is to have problems, the less likely the pre-flight and prepress operators are to be helpful and they aren't going to hear it from sales and management how they need to make x edit, correct x issue or how the job was wrong because they didn't do their job. They might as well ask to come in and run the press too.

I'd recommend using a digital signature to protect content in a PDF file. It won't prevent a user from making changes; however, the changes will be easy to identify. This is the same mechanism used by Enfocus' CertifiedPDF workflow.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back