Cron thermal CTP??

lfelton

These are just being launched in the UK and seem like a high specification for the money. Anyone have any experience of them, i.e. TP3332?

These are just being launched in the UK and seem like a high specification for the money. Anyone have any experience of them, i.e. TP3332?

According to Cron they've sold 40 Thermal CtPs since 2007 so there may not be that many users to draw experience from.

gordon p

Hi!

About CRON CTP, so far i also don't have any Experience, never seen this Machine before, but what i know from Discussion with Customer and Businesspartner (2 of them have one each, free Installation, means can use for one Year without paying for the Machine) they are not happy with this Machine, Focus Problems... (Thermal Machine, NOT UV). Interesting is, there CRON have to do this Way, to give the Machine for free for one Year, cannot sell, or what?

Raymond

Cron Users

Cron Users

Cron Thermal units are simple, but reliable and achieve good quality.
So is the summary of two R&D engineers (from two different companies), who had a close look at the machines. However service manuals yet have to get translated from Chinese :D
First European installations were made earlier this year by Spanish dealer NTgraficas (www.ntgraficas.es); next by former British CTP company Highwater (taken over by Cron this year).
Cron also developed a UV CTP system, which works with cheaper and most reliable conventional plates.

A more indepth review of Cron, their plates and platesetters (incl, pricing) and their latest expansion is included in my report on Chinese plate manufacturers, see here:
Michael Mittelhaus - Topical

I do not understand your comment Raymond. Cron Thermal CTP(Not UV) has focus problem. Well do you think Agfa, Kodak, Fuji and... do not have this problem? Focus problem is an Optic Alignment problem. It is very common in CTP systems.
This is something to do with service provider not the machine itself. All CTP machines need their optic to be aligned once every while.

While all CtP machines need their optics to be aligned there is a difference between CtP devices when it comes to focus when imaging plates. So it can be very much a machine issue.
Some CtP devices rely on the laser's optical depth of field for focus when imaging a plate i.e. no actual focus is done, some do an initial focus on each plate before imaging starts and use that focus setting for the whole plate, and others do dynamic/continuous focusing as the plate is being imaged.

Which method does Cron CtP use?

thx, gordon p

Farshad,

As you brought this up can you please shed some light on Cron hardware regarding the level of maintenance and servicing required. A printing house nearby recently aquired a thermal Cron CTP says quality is ok most of the time but complains about having to clean, adjust and especially lubricate the platesetter internals every week or so he described the carriage system uses some sort of a schneeberger slide rail constantly needing oil. The frustrated prepress guy over there grumbles about odours and fumes, how much truth is in all this, can he be only exaggerating ? He also mentioned all documentation is in chinese as Michael pointed out ... could that be a reason for his struggle ?

@ Armya Inc
As I asked before but the videos didn't answer:
Some CtP devices rely on the laser's optical depth of field for focus when imaging a plate i.e. no actual focus is done, some do an initial focus on each plate before imaging starts and use that focus setting for the whole plate, and others do dynamic/continuous focusing as the plate is being imaged.

Which method does Cron CtP use?

Also, does it include orthogonality correction and thermal compensation?

thx, gordon p

Gordon, I thought I answered this, seems it wasn't published. It uses a focus reference and based on that start imaging the plate.

Hope this will help.

g

By the way, Gordon are you Marketing Creo/ Kodak? I just checked your profile.

It is Company confidential, Although; I do not work or market Cron in North America.;)

I used to work for Creo/Kodak but I haven't worked there for several years now.

How can orthogonality correction and thermal compensation be company confidential? Those are just product features that some CtP devices have while others don't. For example, Heidelberg CtPs feature temperature compensation. If, for example, Cron CtP does not have thermal compensation then that may mean that it needs to be operated in a temperature controlled environment to help maintain imaging repeatability. It may also mean that if one plate is damaged in a 4/C set that you cannot just reimage the one plate but need to reimage all four.

thx, gordon p

A CTP user poll in China for the worst CTP (technical & service)

Attachments

• CTP Poll.jpg
    CTP Poll.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 356

g

Dear Sir,
Iam a trained engineer from CRON, The CRON CTP designed with ORTHOGONALITY CORRECTION.
forming an image on a skewed recording drum comprising a recording head comprising a plurality of recording channels, this has a method includes providing an image data file comprising a plurality of image data columns; assigning different portions of each image data column to different recording channels; substituting first image data from a first image data column assigned to a first recording channel with second image data from a second image data column assigned to a second recording channel; and operating the recording head to form the image.
This machine also has got thermal compensation.
with regds,
Babu.

According to Cron they've sold 40 Thermal CtPs since 2007 so there may not be that many users to draw experience from.

gordon p

I think that number is very out of date now. They are pushing lots of units out, not only in China, but across europe as well with their partners.

...forming an image on a skewed recording drum comprising a recording head comprising a plurality of recording channels, this has a method includes providing an image data file comprising a plurality of image data columns; assigning different portions of each image data column to different recording channels; substituting first image data from a first image data column assigned to a first recording channel with second image data from a second image data column assigned to a second recording channel; and operating the recording head to form the image.
Babu.

Babu, I think I understand the basics of multi-beam exposure, can you provide more details about image geometry and machine accuracy ? Also important, can you post some pictures or drawings to demonstrate how exposure takes place ?

Congratulations! you win a poor machine.Cron CTP although in china doesn`t get some positive judgement.The vote result will show.
And they sell in UK ,the service will be a big problem.For their product not consistent all the time,and the service price will be high in overseas.
So why you choose Cron CTP?The cheap price?
As I now,selling a second hand CRON CTP in china is a difficult thing,no matter how fresh the device is~

Last edited:
Congratulations! you win a poor machine.Cron CTP although in china doesn`t get some positive judgement.The vote result will show.
And they sell in UK ,the service will be a big problem.For their product not consistent all the time,and the service price will be high in overseas.
So why you choose Cron CTP?The cheap price?
As I now,selling a second hand CRON CTP in china is a difficult thing,no matter how fresh the device is~

Dear sir,
No machine will not get 100% positive judgment,the cheap price is not at all a matter, the quality it produces in ps plate is amazing and can be comparable with thermal imaging.Regarding service one machine produced 46,000 plates in just six months time with out any service call. I hope you will not find Cron ctcp owner would like to sell his ctcp as secondhand.
Babu.

You are wrong,I know serveral Cron CTP owners and users in china,and I know how this device used in china,a lot of them want to sell their CTP vendor,but no one want to buy a second hand CTP machine.
Comparing with other CTP device in china,CRON worse than 保利特,图锐 even founder.here you can see a open vote in chinese forum Let`s us talk about the worst CTP or CTCP? - CPC中文印刷社区

Last edited:
You are wrong,I know serveral Cron CTP owners and users in china,and I know how this device used in china,a lot of them want to sell their CTP vendor,but no one want to buy a second hand CTP machine.
Comparing with other CTP device in china,CRON worse than 保利特,图锐 even founder.here you can see a open vote in chinese forum Let`s us talk about the worst CTP or CTCP? - CPC中文印刷社区

dear sir,
i dont understand chines, pl let me know few customers details who want to sell cron ctcp.

Babu.

Dear sir,
you menctioned about founder ctp, founder is dealing in violet ctp only, in my knlodge they dont make any ctcp i dont understand how will u compare.
Babu.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back