CS2 to CS4... Should I do it??

Note just heard from Adobe that after Feb 28 uppgrade to CS4 from CS2 will be $799 instead of as now $599, might be relavant for the decission.

Note just heard from Adobe that after Feb 28 uppgrade to CS4 from CS2 will be $799 instead of as now $599, might be relavant for the decission.

Figures :mad:, it must be a better product after March 1:confused:

I'm sure they will empty the shelves at that rate, especially with the booming economy, WTF Adobe!

I work at a small sheet fed shop and recently upgraded from CS2 to CS4. It's worth every bit, no interchange files to deal with either. When using CS3 to CS2 interchange files I would constantly have issues with transparency not converting correctly, and CS2 transparencies constantly made issues with the rip. Acrobat 9 is very nice to work with, I was using 6 before the upgrade :)

As mentioned before if you plan on buying intel based macs in the future you will have to upgrade as running CS2 is somewhere around 60% slower....its turns the 2.66 macpro into a dog with large documents.

You will need it eventually so why not buy it now and save $200 ??

I have been running both CS2 and CS4 for the last couple of months. I haven't noticed the 60% speed loss. I just ran both as I was learning, so I could still meet my deadlines. Using CS2 barely at all now. At the same time I went from a G4 to a Mac Pro dual core and have been having some issues when I save files from the network, such as I don't have permissions etc. I can get around this by saving to my desktop and the copying the file back to the server. Other than that I haven't had many complaints.

At the same time I went from a G4 to a Mac Pro dual core and have been having some issues when I save files from the network, such as I don't have permissions etc. I can get around this by saving to my desktop and the copying the file back to the server. Other than that I haven't had many complaints.

I also had the same problem when taking my my mac-pro in to work. I assume you have 10.5 leopard ? This seems to be a pretty common problem for a lot of people (without any definite answers online lol) Try out this link

I seemed to have ridden the awefull read only problems by going into System Preferences > sharing > File Sharing - and adding my storage drive (or just a folder if needed) and then add the network user name & password into the users list. This will also add them into the users panel as a network only user profile. Of course change their privileges to read/write.

Hope that helps

What issues? I would be very curious to hear about any issue that is preventing folks from moving to Acrobat 9 - especially since Acrobat 9 offers such MAJOR ADVANCES over Acrobat 8 for the prepress/publishing marketplace.
Perhaps you or someone else can help me with some issues I've been having with Acrobat 9.

I've recently upgraded from CS2 to CS4 Design Standard. I print comics in both black and white and color. All the PDFs for my color comics no longer print correctly using Acrobat 9. They seem to have this greenish haze over them, it is particularly noticeable on black. I know its not a process versus composite black issue as I am using the exact same printer setting as I was before. The only change I made was upgrading to CS4.

Also, these same PDFs will print perfectly from my older PC which I did not upgrade on. It is a backup print server. I'm currently using it for color work as my primary computer has CS4 and can't print properly.

I can get this computer to print properly if I uninstall Acrobat Pro 9 and install Adobe Reader 7 instead. Both machines are using the same print drivers and the same printer, a Xerox Phaser 8860.

I really like CS4's other components, but its worthless to me if it can't print all these PDFs properly.

Help, anyone?

Are your PDF files tagged with an output intent? It sounds as if they have some kind of colour management latent in them? Acorbat 9 will honour output intent. Threre are ways to over ride it, but the question is how are you making the PDF's to start with. Acrobat does not colour manage unless you tell it to.

Are your PDF files tagged with an output intent? It sounds as if they have some kind of colour management latent in them? Acorbat 9 will honour output intent. Threre are ways to over ride it, but the question is how are you making the PDF's to start with. Acrobat does not colour manage unless you tell it to.

I'm creating them from In Design using the Export Adobe PDF dialogue box. Looking at the presets I have in In Design, the PDFs I've been creating since installing CS4 have not used an Output Intent.

In general, I have not been using any conversion either. As for Acrobat not colour managing unless asked to, I haven't been selecting any other option than I used previously when printing these PDFs. Some of these PDFs are a couple of years old and have always printed perfectly until I upgraded.

Are the colour settings the same? Same CMYK workingspace is the primary concern.
Use your separations window to see how the file is made. There is no reason to guess.
Output intent will show as the top in the simulation list (if it exists). All PDF/X have output intent!
So if you still say you have n ooutput intent, are all objects DEVICE CMYK?
Are you using ACE or Adobe CMM? if not you have your OS CMM to look into.
If you are on a Mac check the ColourSync is set t in Printer
Go to your Print setup, check advanced. Is Acrobat handling colour or is it off or in Printer? If in Acrobat are you applying preview settings?

That you are exporting from InDesign doesn't mean much what matters are your colur settings and your joboptions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back