CTP advice

PatSmits

Can anyone tell me about the KODAK TRENDSETTER NEWS Platesetter S & KODAK PRINERGY EVO Workflow TDL. We will be using this in a Mixed environment Goss Press and Heidelberg sheet-fed under 25"
We are looking to Purchase this in the near future my CTP experience is none. Is this the way to GO!

Thanks

I haven't looked at anything else because I am in a fairly remote location ( 6 hour drive for nearest Tech) The Kodak would come with a online and phone service agreement and I would probably see the Tech once or twice a year if needed

But what if there is no Kodak? I know there should be but what if they go caput?
Screen hardware is rebadged by Fuji and Agfa, so support would be available.
Workflow you really need to take both News and Commercial files and demo trapping, etc to see how easy they are to work in your area.
Do yourself a favor and look at the Screen, they also offer the same service, and a remain more than solid financially.

Good points, I will look at screen. I was wondering what the experience out there is with the Kodak in terms or reliability. I love the chemical free environment.

Screeen can run Chem free plates from Kodak, Agfa and Fuji. Had both, a Screen and a Kodak Lotem that was fully automated. Will tell you I had more service issues with the Kodak than the Screen, but the Screen was a manual loading operation. Chem free plate solutions are available by the big three, look at all of your options because cost from one to another can be huge. And be sure you are talking apples to apples, chem free and processless are different. And BTW, it still has chems on the plate.

Good points, I will look at screen. I was wondering what the experience out there is with the Kodak in terms or reliability. I love the chemical free environment.

The Trendsetter platform is an industry-known workhorse, and very robust. The "news" version comes in several flavors depending on your needs for speed and automation. The automation option carries up to 2 stacks of 100 plates each if you're doing dual-plate imaging. Speed options go up to 200+ plates per hour. (EDIT/Correction: we only make the 150pph version max now, since launching the Generation News for the higher end market - which does up to 300+ pph and multi-cassette loading... but we may have factory refurb TSNews200 units if needed)

We have our PF-N non-process newspaper plates fully available, and in use by >150 newspapers today. It works exceptionally well in the challenging newspaper coldset web environment. If you want reference accounts I'm more than happy to help.

Kevin.

Last edited:
Screeen can run Chem free plates from Kodak, Agfa and Fuji. Had both, a Screen and a Kodak Lotem that was fully automated. Will tell you I had more service issues with the Kodak than the Screen, but the Screen was a manual loading operation. Chem free plate solutions are available by the big three, look at all of your options because cost from one to another can be huge. And be sure you are talking apples to apples, chem free and processless are different. And BTW, it still has chems on the plate.

The Kodak would be a manual loading alternative and by Chem Free I Mean no Fixer or Developer from Negs..UUGGHH.

The Kodak would be a manual loading alternative and by Chem Free I Mean no Fixer or Developer from Negs..UUGGHH.

Actually, the Trendsetter News is available as a manual version (actually auto load/unload), semi-automatic (with auto-unload to the processor), or with full autoloading/unloading of up to 250 plates online. KODAK TRENDSETTER NEWS Platesetter - Kodak Graphic Communications Group

Even with autoloading, it's a very compact device - the autoloader is on top of the machine, essentially built into the same footprint as the manual version.

Kevin.

I haven't looked at anything else because I am in a fairly remote location ( 6 hour drive for nearest Tech) The Kodak would come with a online and phone service agreement and I would probably see the Tech once or twice a year if needed

I think you need to look VERY carefully at response times. Whilst the newest kit IS fantastically reliable (we have 2 * :AVALON N-16's which are AGFA, but built by Screen) - you need to factor in breakdowns, they are machines after all and subject to a million different vaguaries. I would be worried with a 6 hour minimum response myself - basic maintenance could see a tech needed a lot more than that (OK - my throughput is around 1250m2 a week per machine) , I get great service - but having 2 machines was a no-brainer.

Have you any commitment to plates - chemistry free is the Holy Grail, but lo-chem is often more practicable in terms of cost/m2, supply etc. You can get a consent to discharge your waste over here on most types too.

Sorry, loads of rambling here - but being an early adopter into CTP has given me a great (and NOT at all jaded) insight into the technology...

Hi Pat.

Why not check out the Agfa web site at

AGFA

Click on the "GRAPHICS" area. Agfa can help you out with absolutely everything you may require, including full-on advice.

Regards.

Ctp

Ctp

I think you need to look VERY carefully at response times. Whilst the newest kit IS fantastically reliable (we have 2 * :AVALON N-16's which are AGFA, but built by Screen) - you need to factor in breakdowns, they are machines after all and subject to a million different vaguaries. I would be worried with a 6 hour minimum response myself - basic maintenance could see a tech needed a lot more than that (OK - my throughput is around 1250m2 a week per machine) , I get great service - but having 2 machines was a no-brainer.

Have you any commitment to plates - chemistry free is the Holy Grail, but lo-chem is often more practicable in terms of cost/m2, supply etc. You can get a consent to discharge your waste over here on most types too.

Sorry, loads of rambling here - but being an early adopter into CTP has given me a great (and NOT at all jaded) insight into the technology...

Clive
What plate are you using on your VLF's

We're using Amigo-TS, a great plate IMHO, fast enough, robust and no issues if they can end up lying around for a month (not that it happens very often :p )

We ran waste to bottle initially, and sent it to the environmental department - no worries. Our cleanout solution is mostly detergent, and diluted with wash. Point of note - watch your wash rates, we started off on a 10% replen, and the water rates went through the roof. We've cut it right down, less than 1% IIRC - and just change the wash water every morning. 10 mins work - and far better environmentally in terms of water usage.

Kodak CTP

Kodak CTP

Can anyone tell me about the KODAK TRENDSETTER NEWS Platesetter S & KODAK PRINERGY EVO Workflow TDL. We will be using this in a Mixed environment Goss Press and Heidelberg sheet-fed under 25"
We are looking to Purchase this in the near future my CTP experience is none. Is this the way to GO!

Thanks

I have been using the Kodak Prinergy Evo systems for about three years. I find it to be very user friendly. Glad to answer any questions you have.

We are using the Magnus 400II platesetter and have had only one service call in three years.

Did you look at Screen and TrueFlow?

I'm considering replacing our Trendsetter 3230 for a new or used 4 up device?
Great Machine with No Issues, Just High Yearly Maintenance fees. We been running it for 13 years now.

Joe Can you tell me, is the Yearly Maintenance fee on Screen or TrueFlow as costly as Kodak
Trendsetter 3230 per year, I'm looking to upgrade so I can lower my cost on the Yearly Maintenance.
Thanks

Trueflow was way cheaper than Kodak... in fact many users do not carry agreement on the platesetters, just the workflow.

Pre Press Boulevard is your professional and reliable partner for used graphical equipment & software solutions. We sell 150 systems a year.
We can be your purchaser, seller, broker, turn-key solution provider and full service company.
We work world wide and our equipment is always cleaned & tested before shipment
Of course a professional crating & packing service is part of our full-service program to ensure an optimal handling of your Hi-Tec equipment during transport.
Risks are reduced to the absolute minimum. Only the best forwarder companies work with us.
We arrange your documents for customs declaration & L/C purposes
[email protected]

Prinergy EVO TDL is just an TIFF shooter to CTP. Set it and forgot it. It will not make you any trouble. Trendsetter also will not make you any trouble, just don't forget the maintenance.

Most of the problems come from the plate processor. Don't take a cheap one!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back