CTP for Small Press?

4stateprint

First off, thank you to everyone who has a comment for this thread; I do appreciate any suggestions or idea.

I have a small print shop and operate some antiquated presses (Chief 217, Chief 17 and Hamada 700CD).
I am looking for a CTP machine that outputs metal plates for 1up presses. I am looking into a used SM74 so it could also run that size.

Anyway, I am looking for honest (we have used this machine and here's the bug's) advice. Please if your a salesman keep your brochures, I probably have some. But, if you have actually used a machine please lend me your experiences.

Thank you,
D

We use our Fuji Saber for our small presses like a jet press and a multi press. If your platesetter doesn't handle the smaller plate sizes, like ours, you have to buy a plate that is larger and "stitch" together multiple jobs on one plate, or multiple colors onto the same plate. We have one size plate for our jet jobs and one size plate for the multi jobs. Of course you have to wait to image a plate if you don't have a job to gang, but that has never been a big problem here. What is really going to make this happen for you is having a good RIP in front of the platesetter that has the stitching feature, and someone who can figure out how to set it up for you, it can be a little tricky. There might be other ways of ganging a job, or different colors of a job on one plate, but you don't want to create too much work for yourself so I recommend having the RIP do it. By the way we have a Nexus System.

Considered Poly plates, HP 5000?

Considered Poly plates, HP 5000?

For most jobs, you can do excellent work using the HP 5000 Laser and polyester plates. . .
see hp5000platemakers.com

I would look into the Screen 4up platesetters. Saw a used one in the "Items For Sale" forum a few days ago.

CTP for Small Press

CTP for Small Press

If you are considering violet technology as a plate choice, you owe it to yourself to consider the MAKO line of CtP from ECRM. For over 40 years, we have supplied equipment to customers which is built here in the USA with quality, simplicity, and value in mind.

If you would like a webex demonstration to review, please contact me offline.

Mike Mierjeski
[email protected]
ECRM Imaging Systems

If you are going to step up to the SM74 then I agree with rich apollo regarding the Screen Platerite series of platesetters. They are workhorses. It addition to its own brand Screen also is the OEM for Agfa, Kodak and Fuji's four up solutions. One advantage of going with one of he other vendors is you may be able to get a better rate on your service contract. I also highly recommend the FUJI LH-PJ plate. It is rock solid.

Good luck

I have had nothing but positive experience with the Prosetter. There was the occasional repair needed, nothing major. But that's to be expected with any machine that you use everyday - all day. If you prefer to not get involved with the chemistry of a violet machine - I hear the Suprasetter is just as solid of a machine. Heidelberg builds them - they do not buy and rebadge another CtP. We plated jobs for AB Dick presses, to 4up & 6up multi color presses.

We are just about to bin our aging DPM ctp and are looking at either the new Presstek Vector FL52 or Cheaper option for you could be Glunz & Jensen Platewriter 2000 - for our B3 presses 2-col and 4-col - press reports looks good, would also appreciate feedback.

We used the MAKO2 for 3 years and was happy with it. I believe it will image a plate for a 74 but that would be its max size. Only draw back was the machine at least the imaging part needs to be in a dark room with minimal yellow light. The plate must be inserted into the image setter manually one at a time by someone into a pinbar system. You can have multiple plate formats but you will neeed different pin bars depending on which plate you use.

The Mako CTP is a good solution but to clarify, the room does not have to be dark with minimal yellow light. The filters that are used on the lights are almost as bright as white light, they just filter out the waves that will expose the plate. It is manual feed, but for a small shop this should be a non-issue. We have several customers that have this CTP and unless you prepunch your plates, you will only need 2 registration bars max depending on what the different size plates you are running.

Someone also mentioned the G&J PlateWriter, this is a great choice for anyone who is running short to medium run lengths and are looking for good color. Big Plus - Chem. Free.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back