cutting padded mini calendars

jsodom

We are producing mini calendars, 3 x 3, for a sister company. We print these 120 up on a 25 x 36 sheet and then collate and cut them down to 3 x 18 strips and pad them, then we cut them down to final size 3 x 3. The problem we have is that it's a slow process and the final size isn't consistent. We need to find a better way, process or equipment that will allow us to be more efficant and to have a better consistany with final size. Any suggestions?

thanks,
Jeff

I would be curious as to the quantity for this. Are you printing the entire job up on one sheet or are you using 12 different sheets or how ever many and collating them that way? There are alot of ways to skin that cat for sure. As for the size inconsistency, maybe the approach for the final cutting needs to be looked at a different way. I myself have never seen a machine capable of handling something this small with good consistent product but I am sure something is out there. If you can eliminate gutters if it has them would help since that will create less cuts on the 18" strip. Small piece and they are always challenging.

We are currently printing four months per sheet 60 up each. The video above I thought would be a good solution; we could print all 13 months (Dec 2010-Dec 2011) on one sheet reducing the press runs to one and one set of plates, no hand collating, and no cutting on the cutter. I've been talking with Brausse and it sounds like the 40lb uncoated stock we are using is too light weight for the machine to handle; to bad it would have been a great solution.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back