Dahlgren Problems

I have replaced the meetering roller on a A.B. Dick 9840, adjusted the water form roller, tried changing the solution, ran with alcohol, ran w/o alcohol and am still having nightmares about this press. I need ideas!

no matter what I do I get a toning issue with the press. I come up to color and then I start to tone. Dial in some more water and then wash out. I have adjusted the water form to within a 1/8 stripe but still have all kinds of issues. I used to run a Dahlgren on a 9880 and did not have this issue even running 9810 and 9840 plates. I have tried more alcohol, less, more solution, less solution and anything else that you can think of. The plate will start to tone on the leading edge on the outer corners and then lead to the rest of the leading edge. I have not ran a press in the past 15 years, but to me it's like riding a bike; once you learn, you do not forget. Pisses me off because I like to know that I know my bussiness if you know what I mean. Please call me at 828-358-5514, or 910-455-4022 with any ideas that you might have. Or [email protected]. I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
its been a long time since ive seen a dahlgren and even then it was only on large presses but i do remember there was a skew adjustment that would allow for an even distribution of fountain solution from side to side. If you have an operators manual look up "skew"

Are your plate and blanket pressures set correctly? You may be over packed. Also, are these metal plates? If they are tighten them up along with your blankets.

Also, it makes sense that you have a oscillating roller not contacting an ink form roller. Do both the oscillating to form and form to plate stripes. Double check those things and let us know what you come up with.

Last edited:
I had one of those units on a 9870 back in late eighties and tried everything to get it to run correct. We even had AB Dick come out to watch how I ran it because they thought I was doing something wrong. They were wrong and in the end put the super aquamatic system back on that originally came with the press. Then it ran great.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back