Data Merge problem in CS3 v5.0.4

utsfoil

First time on the forum so be gentle.

I have been using this for years and now have a major problem
Recently had the hard drive upgraded, do not think that this is part of the problem

When I 'select data source' it does not appear in the data merge window, yet there is a file there as I can see it in the 'links' window and it will allow me to update or remove the data source.

I have checked jobs that I have done previously and the same problem has happened with them

Rob Ottelli
Pre press

Last edited:
I am not in front of InDesign, so this does not directly help, it is more for next time you setup a merge...

I make it a habit to save a template .indt file of the job correctly setup on the master page - directly before the datamerge .csv file is linked to the file, before making the merged file.

I then open the template file which creates a new untitled file and then link the data source to this file. If there are any issues, I can easily get back to the original state and relink to the same or a different source file by using the template file (which is not linked to a data source).

I have had my share of issues with linked data files crashing InDesign CS3, which is why I do this extra step. I have not looked back since, it has saved me from lots of problems!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
What format is your data? Usually one works in excell and then saves from excel to csv or some tab delimted format. Could it be you forgot that stage? Ussually it we remember excell as that is where the data is sorted and reworked.

Thanks Stephen

Back at work and I have tried your method.
No luck, still with a blank data window.

Last edited:
Thanks Lukas

I save as a .csv file and have had no problems till last week. Tried .txt file as well and no luck.
Looking like I may do a reinstall of Indesign.

Before reinstalling, delete your InDesign preference file (InDesign.plist on a Mac).

The easy way to do this is to use the "Adobe Secret Handshake":

1. Quit InDesign
2. Launch InDesign
Have your fingers ready for the next step, it has to happen very fast before InDesign starts up...
3. Hold down the Shift+Option+Command+Control keys (this can also be done as you start up the application, however this key combo may interfere with the app launching from say the dock).

One can also manually delete the InDesign.plist file, rather than using the secret handshake.

You will then have to reset your application preferences from the factory default (preferred unit of measure etc).

Stephen Marsh

Thanks again Stephen
We have a winner, problem solved.

Rob Ottelli

Glad to be of help Rob!

I am of two minds about the good old "trash corrupt preferences" fix it routine...

Con - why should one have to do this so often to fix application errors, why does this file corrupt so often?

Pro - I am glad that this simple fix is all that it takes to fix most common errors!

Although InDesign seems to need this the most, it can also happen with other Adobe software - or even software from other companies inside Adobe apps, such as plug-ins for say Acrobat Pro (Dynagram Inp02 has needed this many times after a crash, I often have to reinstall and reactivate the product to overcome these errors when .plist trashing does not fix things).

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back