dc242 vs imagepress c1+

markv

Hello and thanks in advance --

We print full color inserts for DVD cases as well as insert booklets. Our Phaser 7750 laser printers are old and expensive for consumables. I think I've narrowed the search down to the Xerox DocuColor 242 and the Canon ImagePress c1+.

I like the image quality of the Canon, and the clear toner possibilities, but am not certain they are quite enough to distinguish it from the Xerox.

We need to duplex print about 200 to 300 full coverage color clicks a day. Many on glossy coated stock. Speed is not too much of an issue, but reliability is.

Canon Business Services has just opened up in my town now that Ikon doesn't carry Canon. They have been aggressive, but since they're new I wonder if they can service their machines like the existing Xerox distributors can.

Any thoughts on which might be the better choice?

Thanks, Mark

Che.c thanks --

I can't duplex coated stock on a 242? Yikes, that alone could be a deal breaker.

I searched the Xerox website on this issue and couldn't find anything on it. Is it documented anywhere?

I don't know where it says it on the site, but I run a 260 and you can't duplex coated. Or rather, if you want you can tell the machine it's Heavyweight 1 and it will duplex it, but it slides everywhere and starts leaving dirty marks all over the print.

Long story short - you can't duplex coated stock on a 242. Heaviest uncoated you can do is 160gsm.

Che.c thanks --

I can't duplex coated stock on a 242? Yikes, that alone could be a deal breaker.

I searched the Xerox website on this issue and couldn't find anything on it. Is it documented anywhere?

ask your Xerox rep for the Customer Expectations Document; that way you will not have any surprises.

I think the Canon's CED will say the same, it can't duplex coated/glossy media. I might be wrong, so check Canon's CED too.

I don't know where it says it on the site, but I run a 260 and you can't duplex coated. Or rather, if you want you can tell the machine it's Heavyweight 1 and it will duplex it, but it slides everywhere and starts leaving dirty marks all over the print.

Long story short - you can't duplex coated stock on a 242. Heaviest uncoated you can do is 160gsm.

You are right about the coated stock not supposed to duplexed. However, coated text weight is not a problem. Just don't call service and say, "it won't duplex my coated stock". The limitation on this machine is 176gsm or 65Lb cover.
With our 252 I don't see the dirty marks on the pages or the page slide. But, remeber you are fudging the printing anyway.
If you do a lot of coated prints, look at the 700. It will duplex up to 80Lb Cover coted or uncoated.

Thanks to everyone so far.

I had never heard of a CED before, so thanks very much for telling me about that. I will get that before I buy.

I will definitely need to duplex coated text weight in the ordinary course of business. It the machine isn't spec'd for it, I'll probably stay away even if it is technically possible.

Thanks again, and any thoughts on the imagepress c1+ would be appreciated.

Mark

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back