Design team collaboration tools? (alternative to InSite online proofing)

cjs

We are currently bidding on a big job from one of our top accounts. The client does this project once a year and in order to get the job we need to provide them the ability to have per-page approvals from multiple users. Our competitor is using Kodak's InSite online proofing, and we are using Heidelberg Pre-press (Signa+Meta), with a basic online proofing tool built in house. While our system works for most of our clients, for this project it will not suffice. We do not have the time to build a system as robust as InSite, and do not have the ability to switch our entire Pre-press workflow at this time.

What I would hope to find is a system that we can either buy or recommend to the client that would allow them to do what they are currently doing with InSite, perhaps better. Does anyone know of any online collaboration software for teams of designers and copywriters that might fit the bill? We have heard good things about Workamajig from one of our other clients, so I would be curious to hear from anyone with experience with that and how it compares.

Last edited:
Working for a Kodak Distributor, I would say that -

* Kodak InSite Prepress Portal - is what most people think of when InSite is mentioned (fits right into the whole prepress PDF Prinergy Workflow).

* Kodak InSite Creative Workflow - Can work with native InDesign packages (fonts, links and .indd), Illustrator .ai files, PDF files, EPS files and many common raster image formats. It can even work with video. This tool is aimed more at the creative end of the process than prepress (although it can also be used by prepress). This software can be used as a stand alone solution, one does not need a Kodak Prinergy Workflow to use this system (it can work with Prinergy) - you can keep using your Heidelberg Workflow or other workflows. ICW can be accessed via web browser or stand alone apps for Mac or Win OS.

If your client knows InSite (Prepress Portal?), then InSite Creative Workflow would not be radically changing what they know. IPP and ICW are basically the same product, however there are some differences.

KODAK INSITE Creative Workflow System - Kodak Graphic Communications Group

Stephen Marsh

You mean fill the bill

You mean fill the bill

"Does anyone know of any online collaboration software for teams of designers and copywriters that might foot the bill?"

You may find something that will fill the bill, but you are the ones that will have to foot the bill.
Hopefully, it will allow you to do proofreading. :)

Al

Last edited:
While I personally do not have experience with online collaboration/softproofing tools, I realize I might find myself in your situation anytime so I will follow this thread with interest.
That being said, did you look at Heidelberg online soft proofing solution?
Heidelberg - Prinect Remote Access
It would tie well into your workflow

Another easy one that comes to mind would be web proof.

Again, no personal experience, just tossing suggestion with hope someone might escalate it into discussion that we all might learn from it.

Stephen: Thank you for the information. I was unaware that Kodak sold Creative Workflow as a standalone product. It has been a while since I saw a demo of Prepress Portal, and will be contacting our Kodak rep soon for more info.

Mr. Ferrari: right you are, how true... :)

zoran: We have looked into Heidelberg's Remote Access system. Not only is it expensive, but requires we upgrade our entire system to "Cockpit" (aka Prepress Manager), and at the end of the day does not provide our clients with a simple UI with which to work. While I think Heidelberg's Signa Station is a fantastic imposition app, and their hardware (and presses) are top-notch, I think Heidelberg has always been a step behind in the end user software department. I hope this will change soon, though, as I hear they are investing in the software arena. Hopefully this thread will shed some light on that, so stay tuned.

Last edited:
What I would hope to find is a system that we can either buy or recommend to the client that would allow them to do what they are currently doing with InSite, perhaps better. Does anyone know of any online collaboration software for teams of designers and copywriters that might fit the bill? We have heard good things about Workamajig from one of our other clients, so I would be curious to hear from anyone with experience with that and how it compares.

Have you looked at Trello? It's a free online tool that might do the trick. Click here: https://trello.com/

best, gordo

Hi Gordon,

On first quick read, it sounds terrific. But what about security? After all, Trello is being hosted on some server outside your organization. A work group might start by uploading information about the work in process but soon the working files start being exchanged.

How about some thoughts on that by others in this thread. Maybe the free version is web hosted, and a purchased version is hosted on our own servers?

Al

"Trello is down for maintenance
We'll be back as soon as possible."

Kind of something you don't want to happen on a rush job??

So much for web hosted software!

Al

They were back on line 15 minutes later.

The printshop that I worked at, and the vendor that I worked for, and even this forum where such questions are raised, had to do system maintenance from time to time.

gordo

Last edited:
But what about security?

But what about security?

Thanks for that Gordon. But what about my security concern expressed earlier?

Al

Thanks for that Gordon. But what about my security concern expressed earlier?

Al

I am not an expert in such stuff.

From their website:
"Everything in Trello is secure. All traffic runs over SSL which encrypts all of your traffic. Trello is backed up hourly, so you’re in no danger of losing "

Does that mean something?

gordo

I am by no means an expert on this either, but my point is we would be putting our stuff on their server and entrusting it to these guys.

Al

An alternative is Viki Solutions' Vera product which is color accurate, packaging and brand focused, and integrates with any prepress workflow system. It is completely customizable by customer and has task functionality. Includes threaded rich text, real-time annotations, high performance proofing, and has video and web capture functionality for your customers' various needs. Furthermore, Vera can integrate with box.com and MIS systems, and other integrations are possible. Additionally, it is Java-free, browser-based (both HTML5 and Silverlight) and can be hosted locally or in a private or public cloud to save hardware costs. Finally, with full reporting of the approval process, we are winning over pharmaceutical and other industry clients where tracking is essential. As the Director of Business Development, I am answering this question just to let you and others know there are alternatives out there.

Contact us at Viki Solutions | Online proofing, prepress portal and creative workflow software for print, packaging and brand management for more information.

Thanks,

Chris

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back