Digital Copier RIPs not supporting OSX Lion??

Doesn't the newer Creo rips have the Adobe Print Engine anyway-so using a pdf is flattening the file. It's the 21st century-postscript is dead.

PDF's and hotfolders are the way to go.

Doesn't the newer Creo rips have the Adobe Print Engine anyway-so using a pdf is flattening the file. It's the 21st century-postscript is dead.

PDF's and hotfolders are the way to go.

As someone who knows what the man behind the curtain looks like...

PDFs are not God's gift.
Flattening happens.
It's just a matter of when.

...but we're off topic.

To add a (PostScript) printer on OS X with just a PPD:

NOTE: The following is from the Mac OS X "Lion" user experience (perspective). Older OS X variants may vary.

0) Go get the PPD that best describes the desired PostScript device;
1) In the Finder...
2) Select System Preferences (menu item) from the Apple menu;
3) Click Print & Scan (icon) to open Print & Scan (preference panel);
4) Click the Lock (icon) if necessary to make changes;
5) When prompted to authenticate with Administrative credentials, do so;
6) Click Unlock (button) to supply the entered credentials;
7) At the bottom/left corner of Printers (listbox) there are a pair of buttons marked with + and - (icons);
8) Click + (icon);

NOTE: The Add Printer (window) should open.

9) There are four icons labeled "Default", "Fax", "IP" and "Windows". Select (click) the IP button;
10) From the Protocol (menu), select HP Jetdirect - Socket (menu item);

INFO: The trade name for this protocol is AppSocket. You can think of AppSocket as HP's "completely insecure but nevertheless useful printing protocol". It opens a RAW socket on port 9100 and let's you do whatever you <censored/> well please. Sensitive environments should NOT use AppSocket (I think IPP is the best option but that's just one geeks opinion).

11) Enter the IP address of the Creo in the Address field;
12) Enter a name (e.g., My Awesome Creo RIP) in the Name field (this is for your own use ... anything reasonable should do);
13) Enter a location in the Location field (or don't ... again, this is for your own human consumption so we won't tell if you leave it blank);
14) Select Other... from Print Using (menu), then use the Finder Selection drawer that appears to locate and select the PPD from Step 0;
15) Click Open (button);
16) Click Add (button);
17) If prompted for Configuration details supply them (otherwise, you should do so later in Options & Supplies ... not covered here);
18) Go print something!

Last edited:
PDF vs Postscript

PDF vs Postscript

PDFs are not God's gift.
Flattening happens.

...but we're off topic.

As someone who remembers praying my postscript file didn't crap out-I'll take my PDF rip any day over postscript.

While nothing is perfect-we have it easy compared to the old days of type 2 postscript rips.

And I'd still trust the APE (Adobe Print Engine) over an OS driver/application level flattening.

Hi,

If your Mac that does print to the RIP is still available and on the network, you could share the Creo printer from that Mac. Then just print to the shared printer from the new Mac.

Oh crap! That works!

I'm still gonna try to add the printer like curveto was talking about but damn... this works perfectly!

Hi,

If your Mac that does print to the RIP is still available and on the network, you could share the Creo printer from that Mac. Then just print to the shared printer from the new Mac.

I get this:

Unable to verify the printer on your network.

It can not be currently determined if ‘192.168.0.100’ supports the HP JetDirect Protocol. Would you still like to create the queue?

Cancel and Continue buttons at botom

PDFs are not God's gift.
Flattening happens.

...but we're off topic.

To add a (PostScript) printer on OS X with just a PPD:

NOTE: The following is from the Mac OS X "Lion" user experience (perspective). Older OS X variants may vary.

0) Go get the PPD that best describes the desired PostScript device;
1) In the Finder...
2) Select System Preferences (menu item) from the Apple menu;
3) Click Print & Scan (icon) to open Print & Scan (preference panel);
4) Click the Lock (icon) if necessary to make changes;
5) When prompted to authenticate with Administrative credentials, do so;
6) Click Unlock (button) to supply the entered credentials;
7) At the bottom/left corner of Printers (listbox) there are a pair of buttons marked with + and - (icons);
8) Click + (icon);

NOTE: The Add Printer (window) should open.

9) There are four icons labeled "Default", "Fax", "IP" and "Windows". Select (click) the IP button;
10) From the Protocol (menu), select HP Jetdirect - Socket (menu item);

INFO: The trade name for this protocol is AppSocket. You can think of AppSocket as HP's "completely insecure but nevertheless useful printing protocol". It opens a RAW socket on port 9100 and let's you do whatever you <censored/> well please. Sensitive environments should NOT use AppSocket (I think IPP is the best option but that's just one geeks opinion).

11) Enter the IP address of the Creo in the Address field;
12) Enter a name (e.g., My Awesome Creo RIP) in the Name field (this is for your own use ... anything reasonable should do);
13) Enter a location in the Location field (or don't ... again, this is for your own human consumption so we won't tell if you leave it blank);
14) Select Other... from Print Using (menu), then use the Finder Selection drawer that appears to locate and select the PPD from Step 0;
15) Click Open (button);
16) Click Add (button);
17) If prompted for Configuration details supply them (otherwise, you should do so later in Options & Supplies ... not covered here);
18) Go print something!

Geeez... why didn't I know about this printer sharing crap before!??? I've always printed to the Creo from our Mac because that's my main production machine... but I have a windows computer as well for some windows only programs. Whenever I wanted to print a file on the windows machine to the Creo, I would have to PDF the file and then put it in a shared folder where I would open it on the Mac and then print it. I had tried to install drivers to the Creo on the Windows machine a couple years ago but they never worked so I just did it my backwards way. Now, I just added the shared printers from the G5 on the Windows machine and I can print directly to the Creo from the Windows machine. Woo!

I get this:

Unable to verify the printer on your network.

It can not be currently determined if ‘192.168.0.100’ supports the HP JetDirect Protocol. Would you still like to create the queue?

Cancel and Continue buttons at botom

Make sure the Creo does support AppSocket and that it is enabled (on 192.168.0.100). You can also try the other protocol selections (i.e., IPP and/or LPR). If you're just a small shop both of those options (probably) won't be configured to ask for (how shall I say) deeper credentials. I've never seen a system that didn't support at least one of protocols (usually all of them). That said, someone may have disabled them (on the Creo) for security reasons.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back