Digital Printing, Spot Colors and Expanded Gamut

chevalier

I've seen what has happened (and continues to happen) to the commercial litho market in the digital arena and my gut says paperboard packaging and labeling is next in line. Our brothers and sisters in the commercial litho market don't have to deal with spot colors much and current solutions are aimed at them. For us packages the problem arises of Spot Colors and/or Expanded Gamut to simulate them. I've researched this topic off and on for a while and there really isn't much data out there.

What realistic digital solutions (of any non-offset-litho or flexographic printing technology) are out there for expanded gamut to match/simulate non-metallic spot colors? What about metallic inks? What about actual spot inks? What about substrate issues? Are market forces pushing buyers and creatives away from spot colors? I think this is very important to the future of our subset of the industry. I'm sharing my thoughts below but what are yours?

I have an Epson Stylus Pro 9900 proofer with integrated Spectrophotometer and CGS-ORIS ColorTuner and Certified Proof where I can automatically read spot colors and get color data. The spot color matching results have been somewhat disappointing. Substrates are a second concern with the ink set. When I look at other inkjet machines without the expanded ink set of an Epson*900 series I see a huge problem. The Epson WT series and Roland VersaCAMM series offer some neat coating and metallic gains in this arena but seem to shortchange the color gamut to achieve it. What about larger scale technologies like the Fuji J press?

I've read about the HP Indigo and the capacity it has for extra channels but that seems to be an extremely neglected area. Does anyone have out thee have any actual experience with one using spot colors or attempting some kind of expanded gamut?

I read recently about the Xerox iGen4 EXP (14.33" x 26" sheet size) with the new "matte ink" but I can't find anything showing the actual color gamut. The in-line coating, binding, cutting and other finishing touches are also an awesome idea. I'm quite curious about multiple inline Epic anilox coaters with use of flexographic UV spot inks in them. Although this causes the need for expensive photopolymer plates (and support equipment). These plates and inks would also eliminate nearly all the gains of digital printing.

The MGI Meteor product line also looks very promising but 10pt stock limitation is pretty much a no-go for packaging.

If you are a vendor and have technology or solutions in this area I have an open ear and open eyes so please respond or PM me. I will be at GraphExpo specifically looking at these technologies.

Last edited:
I've seen what has happened (and continues to happen) to the commercial litho market in the digital arena and my gut says paperboard packaging and labeling is next in line. Our brothers and sisters in the commercial litho market don't have to deal with spot colors much and current solutions are aimed at them. For us packages the problem arises of Spot Colors and/or Expanded Gamut to simulate them. I've researched this topic off and on for a while and there really isn't much data out there.

There's a ton of paperboard packaging and labeling being done offset, flexo, and digitally (e.g. HP Indigo) using an extended process color inkset to replace spot colors. This work is being done in around the world but primarily in N. America and South East Asia.
For example, this old Planeta press in Wisconsin:

s10BigPress.jpg

prints cereal boxes exclusively using a 6-color extended process ink set - hundreds of thousands of boxes a week.

When I did the marketing for one such solution I had a database of over a thousand product samples that our sales reps in the US could pick up at their local grocery shop to show prospective customers. I also stocked our booth with those customer samples at various trade shows. You should have visited my booth when I worked for that vendor. :)
The reason why you can't find much data out there is because the printers that are doing this work do not want to talk about how they do what they do. Or the fact that they're doing it. It's too valuable to them to share.

There is only one printer that I know of that has gone public about their process and that is Fort Dearborn in Chicago. They've branded it "HiColour" and you can read a bit (but not the whole story) about what they do here: HiColour Printing - Fort Dearborn Company

best, gordo

Last edited:
The re-separating software for artwork seems fairly straight forward. We don't currently do this in-house but we do have customers who provide us files this way already. What I am curious about is when you try to do this work with non-offset or flexographic processes.

For L&P applications, HP Indigo offers a DFE (digital front end) for our presses that addresses this type of need. It's called the SmartStream Label & Packaging Server and is an OEM of EskoArtwork technology. The Color Kit option of this DFE, in conjunction with up to 7-color process in the press, allows for a very wide gamut and excellent spot color simulation. We have many customers that are successfully using this is their day-to-day production in prime label, shrink sleeve, packaging (both flexible and carton) and other speciality production; even in the demanding realm that is pharmaceutical!

If you're interested in learning more, HP will be showcasing this DFE at both Graph Expo and Pack Expo next month.

I have an Epson Stylus Pro 9900 proofer with integrated Spectrophotometer and CGS-ORIS ColorTuner and Certified Proof where I can automatically read spot colors and get color data. The spot color matching results have been somewhat disappointing.

Can you do iterations of your spot colors with CGS-Oris to lower the delta values? I know this is a feature that GMG has, but of course, your delta values will always be affected by your printer ink/paper combination.
Regards,
Todd

Yes, I can and do for my special/custom ink matches where applicable.

When I got my new Epson I switched to ORIS from EFI ColorProof. I experimented with two ORIS stocks. One was the top-grade PSV stock that offered the best color matching I have seen yet on a proofer. I say that as someone who receives proofs from just about every vendor combination of RIP, proofer, and substrate out there.

The other stock is a lower-grade PSMC most closely matched the actual packaging SBS we print on. I have optimized everything as much as possible with the ORIS software to the PSMC stock and I am up against technological limitations. I found that overall the proofs were much more "realistic" with the stock that most closely matched the packaging material. We always provide ink matches on stock with hardcopy proofs. I should note that some spot colors are ~3dE and others are >20dE. It's just a case of limitations of gamut and paper.

I cannot say enough about how impressive the combination of the ORIS software, ORIS papers, and the Epson Stylus 9900 with integrated spectrophotometer is. However, my concern is less about proofing as this is tolerable with ink matches for the press and more about actual inkjet/electrostatic/etc. production printing which I foresee taking work away from the presses. I don't expect the Epson Stylus series to be a production machine but I do forsee the same technology packaged slightly differently eating market-share away from the presses in the near future.

Last edited:
I However, my concern is less about proofing as this is tolerable with ink matches for the press and more about actual inkjet/electrostatic/etc. production printing which I foresee taking work away from the presses. I don't expect the Epson Stylus series to be a production machine but I do forsee the same technology packaged slightly differently eating market-share away from the presses in the near future.

It wasn't much more than 6 years ago that a person from Kodak stated to me that the Epson would never be a contract proof. Shows how wrong you can be! I agree with you that the technology that drives the Epson/Inkjets will have an impact on large presses in the near future. I would expect retro fitting existing equipment may be an option, as well as new equipment designs(both of which I believe are around now.) It will be interesting(and then again, maybe not) to see how press operators wages will be affected by this new technology.
Regards,
Todd

Unfortunately, it does appear in the long run that the job "press operator" will continue to move from being a high-skill machine operator to a low-skill button masher. On the brighter side somebody will have to be trained and learn to maintain/service these highly sensitive senor-laden new machines (that is until we have robots doing that).

We are using Serendipity Black Magic with Epson printers and are very satisfied with both the spot color simulation (RDT - real dot tech - actual plate files are proofed). The ability to tone the paper to match substrate color is good if not perfect (SBS and CCNB); you can see more effect in pastels and less in the deeper tones of course but overall pretty good. The paper is Fuji FP Satin and we use the 9pt thicker version (then we spray glue that to stock - sum equals press substrate caliper and have our cadroom op create actual mock ups showing rollover areas, no print glue etc).
As far as digital, I'm betting on J-Press once they push the feed and deliver apart and add a second 4 unit inkjet unit to get the extra green, orange, blue (plus spot Aq) to achieve the color accuracy one gets when printing for real eg; FM6 quality. I expect this enhancement in a version II model but WHEN is the question? I love the J Press ease of use, ink not toner or powder, actual litho type design for transport, operator changeable heads, cleaner bars, precoat to seal card stock up to 15pt etc. I hate the idea of paying per click or using expensive proprietary consumables. Eventually I expect the thickness issue to disappear (straight through thinking, no rollers).
But alas, we aren't there yet!
JW

Chevalier, I'm confused by the post. First you talk about simulating spot colors in proofs and then you discuss the gamut of digital presses. Which question do you want addressed?

As for iterating spot colors in a proof, the problem is that while this may be fine for setting up the system, but not really practical when proofing for different jobs that each may contain a different set of spots, which is par for the course in packaging. EFI XF automatically includes all spot channels in the color bar if one chooses to use the "Dynamic Wedge." In that case you can have an immediate verification of those spots. If the numbers come up short you can do a one-time, instant optimization--no iterations--which also respools the print job. It's highly effective. You do need a printer with a large gamut; the Epson 9900 can reach nearly all of the Pantone coated library.

Keep in mind that only the spot solids are color managed in inkjet RIPs; the tints and overprint Lab definitions are not present in most spot libraries (not to speak of spot-process overprints), so these are modeled in a variety of ways proprietary to the RIP manufacturers, and the effectiveness of the simulations may vary considerably. But if the solids are correct, the tints can be adjusted in the spot color editor to account for higher or lower TVI of your actual press, and this should be adequate for most purposes.

Chevalier, I'm confused by the post. First you talk about simulating spot colors in proofs and then you discuss the gamut of digital presses. Which question do you want addressed?

I was commenting on the limitations currently associated with inkjet proofing spot colors and what production inkjet/electrostatic printer vendors are doing to get around these same problems. The Epson Stylus *900 series amazing 11 channel solution appears to be the best out there for color gamut but it is still limited to not achieving all spot colors.

Yes, I am aware that the efi ColorProof product (just like the ORIS ColorTuner app that I use) will create a dynamic color bars and measure them. I am also aware that various RIP manufacturers have different separating approaches for spot color simulation with various proofing and output devices.

HP is run by 1 D 10 T's but the reality is that the margins in print today makes getting out a good choice. My one digital vendor has had a sales meeting and we were told that they are not encourgaing anyone to sell to print shops. They wante dto concentrate on market areas that were more profitable.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back