Digital Proofreading

Vee

Is anyone currently using a digital proofreading solution, if so which one?

We have been investigating this, and are getting close to a decision. We've narrowed it down to Mnemonics AVIA, and Global Vision ScanTVS.

I would greatly appreciate any information, or opinions on the topic.
Thanks in advance.

Vee

I still prefer the tried and true method of having one or two reliable proofreaders look over a blue or an inkjet proof before making plates. Two human eyes are better than one computer one.

Yea.. I disagree. I just had a job about 2 months ago that was reviewed and QA/QC approved by a total of seven, yes, that's seven people - and they all missed a single black box from the approved customer hard copy to the printers acetate/proof. Being that this was a Pharmaceutical Insert, it was a rather costly error.

With a digital proofreading system, the difference would have been highlighted, and documented. The advantage is, with a digital proofreading system the operator is prompted to review, and approve or reject only any differences between the "master" & "sample", and not the entire proof. The system will be completely validated, including an IQ, OQ, & PQ to ensure the system doesn't miss any items.

With a digital proofreading system, the difference would have been highlighted, and documented. The advantage is, with a digital proofreading system the operator is prompted to review, and approve or reject only any differences between the "master" & "sample", and not the entire proof. The system will be completely validated, including an IQ, OQ, & PQ to ensure the system doesn't miss any items.

I couldn't agree with you more! I don't have any knowledge into these systems but please let us know what you find out. I am very intrigued.

Ritter,
I'm pretty well into the inverstigation process, are there ant particulars you'd like to know?

Off hand, these systems can compare Word/text documents against a formatted PDF. Formatted meaning, customer supplies a 30+ page Word document (for example....), and you format in INDD/Quark, generate a PDF and the software can tell you if the Master (Word file) and the Sample (PDF) are a match. It will highlight any discrepencies such as missing letters, numbers, words, incorrect format, etc.
They can also compare PDF to PDF, and PDF to hardcopy proof. Inkjet Blueline, Acetates, etc.
Again the trick being your proofer will only have to focus on the descrepncies, and not the entire proof.

These systems bring real value if you do any work in foreign languges, as long as you have a master proof - be it PDF or Hardcopy - you can verify your plates/Proofs/Printed work match 100%. Before printing the whole job, and missing an acent mark in a language you may or may not know.

I was thinking about the foreign language side of things. In the past I have ran into some nightmares with Kanji (Japanese). Our first solution was to have them convert all of the type to outlines but that slowed down preflight and RIP time so much that we just had the customer pre-rasterize their documents and provide us with TIFFs.

Are you still planning on having manual proof reading oriented towards typos that the proofing software would verify as matching? Or is the software even smart enough to scan for these things and make suggestions as well?

All we do are pharmaceutical literature, cartons, and labels. The spelling errors should be caught in Marketing/Legal/Regulatory before the text is approved for use on any components. So we will not expect this software to catch spelling errors.

If you can secure a legit Master (PDF or Hardcopy) this system would prevent the error you noted above. I only know English, and the word cerveza, so this will provide substantial confidence in our accuracey of foreign language work.

Hi,

We were in the same boat couple years ago with pharmaceutical work and when we narrowed it down, just before we wanted to test couple of these systems, we didn't get approval for financing so we abandoned the whole deal.
What we ended up doing is creating tiff files and PDF's, burning them to CD, getting customer to approve and sign them and we use that as a master.
There is a whole process implemented, including Design and Print docket, proofreading, proofreading of trend pulls, etc...

Before this process, we used to have issues like you have right now Vee, since implementing this process couple of years ago, I have yet to see single spoiled job or problem with Pharmaceutical work.
Commercial side is different :)

Hi Zoran,
Commercial is a bit trying at times, now isn't it!?

Can you elaborate a little on the process. I'm not asking for minor details, just a high level overview.
Thanks.

Vee

I really don't want to go into detail. It is pretty much as I explained in previous post.
Commercial is different beast for sure :) but we are making some progress there too.

We've also looked at the Global Vision software - pretty impressive stuff.

On the human sid of proofing, I worked for a different firm a few years ago where our plate guys were the last line of defense as far as proofing went. We had our single page proofs, and our Sherpa layouts checked, then the plates were signed off on prior to the run.

We had a guy who was such an eagle eye, that he caught a spelling error at the plate stage that had somehow eluded all prior checks. Unfortunately, he completely missed the fact that the page was rotated 180° from where it was supposed to be in the layout! Luckily, the prep lead noticed it as soon as the spelling error was pointed out.

Schlafender Haas TVT software is the best way forward for you. They are shortly releasing a version that can even handle right to left reading text and has improved table handling capabilities. Please don't fall for the Global vision guff. For actual reading and comparison TVT is excellent. We use it to verify truth copy on pharmaceutical leaflets and other documents. This is the best software for that. It is simple to use and the support is very good. Just thought you should know. The global vision guy couldn't even get the demo working on our network. It'll cost you nothing to have a look.

Thank you m0b33. I searched for "Schlafender Haas TVT", to no avail. Can you provide a link, please?

I've demoed the GV & Mnemonics, both are capable systems. Can the system you mention verify PDF to PDF, Hardcopy to PDF, etc? What about text documents to PDF?

I'm very interested in learning more, please provide a link to a site, or contact info for more details.

Thank you in advance,
Vee

I have extensive experience with Global Vision's Docu-Proof, Digital-Page (ArtProof/ScanTVS), and BarProof, as well as Schlafender Hase’ TVT (Text Verification Tool). In my opinion TVT is a much better tool than Docu-Proof for text compares for many reasons.

I am surprised there is not more about proofing tools overall within this forum; especially with regards to Global Vision, as they started out as strictly press-side proofing tool. Then again printing and prepress have been segmented and outsourced to DEATH!

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back