Digital Spot Varnishing?

Creative311

We got some print samples from a shop we use with a Canon imagePRESS that had spot varnishing that the shop said was done all in-line on the printer. I didn't know you could do this with a digital device. Some of it looked pretty cool - has anyone done jobs on this printer? Were you able to charge clients more for it? I'm thinking that with very short runs it might make sense without the set-up charges for off-line. Are there any other devices that can do this?

I could be wrong but I think the ImagePress C1 is the only one from Canon using clear toner. Kodak Nexpress does an excellent job at this as well, the Nexglosser is cool too.

Thanks, I found some Kodak info that showed not only gloss, but a raised print effect in selected text or image areas.

The "spot coating" on these digital devices is more for looks and does not provide the same protection of say UV coating for mailing applications.

You can spot coat a flat look with the 5th station and clear on the NexPress. To be able to use the NexGlosser you have to floodcoat the sheet with the clear in the 5th station and then run it through the NeGlosser, it will not spot coat.

There are 2 spot uv varnish machines on market, one is from MGI and the other is from some US manufacturer i do not remember. Both cost way over 100.000 usd.

Canon C1 plus has transparent fifth color that is used for reproducing similar effect. But it comes out of question on laminated materials, the machine is very slow and NOT cheap :).

There are 2 spot uv varnish machines on market, one is from MGI and the other is from some US manufacturer i do not remember. Both cost way over 100.000 usd.

There are more. FFEI was shown at Drupa and also rebranded as Fuji's there. PAT has the Varstar and Komfi has the Spotmatic54.

I would expect the MGI machine shown at Print 09 and possibly the Fuji unit. PAT is Canadian, I'm not sure what on the US one.

FFEI is over $200,000.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back