Document Setup Illutrator CS4

bgardner

In Illustrator CS3, all you had to do to change the file size was go to file > document Setup and simply put in the new values

How come its not quite so easy to do that in Illustrator CS4??

for Example, If I had a file designed 3 x 5 - but the specs of the job change and I need to make this a 5 x 7, how do you do it?

File>Document Setup, then hit the "Edit Art boards" Button.
You can also just grab the Art Board Tool from the tool bar. (Shift + O)

Hope this helps.

One of the new cool features in Illustrator CS4 is the use of multiple artboards, which can be different sizes. For example, you can have one Illustrator file contain a corporate identity package, such as one artboard be 8.5 x 11 for a letterhead, another artboard that is 2 x 3.5 for a business card, and another artboard that is 9.5 x 4.125 as a number 10 envelope, all in one file. Much better than a giant artboard, with the letterhead in one corner, the envelope in the middle, and the business card in another corner.

-Sev

Yes, and you can save the whole mess as a multpage PDF.

BUT, this would mean that you're performing page layout functions in Illustrator, which at the very least should warrant a trip to the principal's office.

BUT, this would mean that you're performing page layout functions in Illustrator, which at the very least should warrant a trip to the principal's office.

I second this. Off with ye heads ye foul Illustrator document buildin' scurvy.... :)

Although I can't complain too loudly, they're the reason I have a job.

I receive the files, I dont create them. I would rather get an Illustrator file using multiple artboards, then get a single artboard/page in Illustrator that has a business card in one corner, an envelope in another corner, and a letterhead someplace on the same page. No fun to RIP and impose a mess like that. Of course, I would rather get files done correctly, using InDesign for page layout. But I cant complain, it is the designers that keep me employed, fixing their files :D

-Sev

It is quite easy to convert to artboards since you can fit artboard to selection. If there is a rectangle to represent your various sizes then it is a pup up menu per object. Set the bleed to the largest you need (one bleed for all artboards). You can then export the artboards as one or multiple PDFx files.

I was a bit reluctant to embrace it, but am getting more comfortable as time goes by.

Lukas, I knew about that feature, but never really though of using it to fix a file where the "designer" place a the front artwork and the back artwork on the same giant artboard. The art was just kinda plopped on the artboard, not in the center, just was plopped. I drew a rectangle around the trim of each page, set the bleeds, and used the Convert to Artboards function, and bam, the job is now correct, ready to RIP. Took me less than a minute. Thanks!

-Sev

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back