Dynamic Tray Selection

Hi,
I make VDP works or data merging and I used to produce a final pdf. But some projects need tray selection. For example if we have two A4 papers but with different background and some customers needs the first (from first tray), others the second (from second tray) and someome else both. Somewhere I read that using the printer's pcl or postcript driver I can produce a final pcl or postscript file and then we can embed specific pcl or postscript commads (in specific potitions) that force the printer to change tray whenever it needs. Do you know something about this. Also I know that there are some third party softwares and plugins for InDisign an Quark but they cost to much for me...
Thanks

You are right, PS discription about tray selection is about the standard. but regarding to different digital printer, there need a little adjustment sometime. Our software can let you choose different tray when print VDP job, such as insurance document, For example, cover page from tray 1, intenal page from tray 2. We have tested and applied this function in Canon, Ricoh, InfoPrint, Kodak Digimaster,KonicaMinolta..If you are interested, please contact us.

I think that the persons that are responsible for the forum do not make good job because they allow bagmans... I SAID THAT I DO NOT NEED SOME SOFTWARE SOLUTION...GAGA?

are you saying you want to actually change the info once you've made the file? or set up print software to generate it?

I've dealt with multiple tray pulls for quite awhile now. With Xerox Igen, docu-series, and Kodak digis.

I may not be much help though-We only use GMC printnet software. you must name your paper in each page of the layout, then make the multiple papers with the same name in the output module. anything entered into the module, when you generate the print file, it will attach all of the paper configurations into the job itself. Some xerox software is sensitive too. It may want to know coated/uncoated/weight, preprinted or no....etc.

that is what we struggled with. Paper in printer set to "preprinted" while on the output module, it was not. so it would default, or error.

may not help, but thought it was worth a shot.

oops: just reread post. I have had ZERO luck making pdf's pull multiple bins. :( sorry- I stopped trying. I use only postcript files for multiple bin variable data jobs.

Thanks for your response...
I mentioned pdf for jobs that do not require tray selection...
But in case we have to use tray selection the only way is with postscript (GMC is too expensive for me!). For that reason I print to the windows PS driver of printer machine with the "Print to file" option selected. Thus I take a ps file. Then I have to open the file and insert the appropriate postscript commands in the right possitions (pages).
I have opened another thread with a good response from someone...
Read it to say your opinion:http://printplanet.com/forums/vdp-hardware-software-systems/26556-postscript-command-mediacolor

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back