Editing images in Acrobat

LoneGoose,
You are bringing back a lot of bad memories. This issue was discussed several times on the old PPF forums.

There were suggestions to update both PS and Acrobat to the very newest point updates, but I don't know if the bug was ever fixed.

In our shop, we would do the editing on a machine with Acrobat 6 and PS CS1. This would put the image back in the correct spot, but in the wrong order. You would then use PitStop or the Acrobat Content pane to put the image back on the correct layer.

If I remember correctly, the best workaround was to use Acrobat 7 and PS CS1, if you have that option and if CS1 will work under Leopard.

i had a pdf file last week, all spot colours, with an image in the pdf - obviously out of spots too

i tried to edit the image and acro wouldn't let me - is there a limit to the file types it will let you edit?

acro 7 or 8, osx 10.4.11, g5 3g ram

What was the error message?

firstly acrobat warned the image contained transparency and any resulting editing may result in unpredictable appearance changes in the layout

then photoshop bounces a warning about flattening before saving, then photoshop says it could not complete my request due to colours in unsupported colour spaces

now this may not really be an acrobat issue - but why could i not edit my image and reimport into my pdf?

what went wrong?

firstly acrobat warned the image contained transparency and any resulting editing what went wrong?

unsupported colour spaces. I get it all the time with NChannel spots that the Adobe PDF export process converts grayscale images to. Seems to me if Adobe converts images to something else when making a PDF that it's image editing software should be capable of editing that image. Doesn't work that way though all the time though.

Without seeing the PDF in question, but based on the messages you've provided - it sounds like your image was in a colorspace that Photoshop can't edit (most likely, DeviceN).

I use this feature quite a lot, for some years now. And don't have many problems at all.
Check your preferences are ok.
Preferences>General>Touchup
Image Editor=Photoshop
Object Editor=Illustrator
Only works with CMYK or BW
'Must' flatten photoshop layers before saving.
'Don't' command S (save)
*Use the button in the top left photoshop window to close, 'this will ask you if you want it to save back into the pdf'. Click Save.
Then wait a minute for pdf to refresh itself.
Then do a save as.

One more thing, live pdfs (unflattened) work better than pdfs that have been distilled or normalised (flattened). The distilled pdfs are a bit trickier sometimes, (due to postscript flattening) but usually are ok to edit also...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back