Editing images in Acrobat

LoneGoose

Sometimes when editing an image in a PDF file (from Acrobat; ctrl-click 'edit image'), after closing Photoshop, the image inexplicably drops to the bottom left of the PDF page. Does anyone know the reason for this or how to fix it?

Thanks!

-Nicolas

I believe this was fixed in CS2 Photoshop. Something like 9.0.2. Make sure Photoshop is at least this version.

I've got 9.0.2; OSX and also Leopard; Acrobat 7. Will try to replicate and maybe upload a PDF tomorrow. Will double check versions at work and report back - thanks for the responses so far!

I find image touch up can be a bit tricky, if you don't flatten and save you sometimes loose the edits.
Also try opening the PDF in PS showing options, this letts you choose to edit pages (converting page to PDF) or edit images (embedded in the PDF)

I find image touch up can be a bit tricky, if you don't flatten and save you sometimes loose the edits.
Also try opening the PDF in PS showing options, this letts you choose to edit pages (converting page to PDF) or edit images (embedded in the PDF)

Huh? How do you do that?

I've got 9.0.2; OSX and also Leopard; Acrobat 7. Will try to replicate and maybe upload a PDF tomorrow. Will double check versions at work and report back - thanks for the responses so far!

Acrobat 7 is not supported on Leopard. You need at least Acrobat 8.1...

Leonard Rosenthol
Adobe Systems

Ops! seeing things in menus does not allways work in RL workflow

Ops! seeing things in menus does not allways work in RL workflow

IN CS3 just check the images.
The file cannot be locked.
Picture 14.jpg
In CS2 you can open too but it looks different,
…but it will not save the file back into the PDF.

you can however place the edited file in acrobat by using the image touch up and right-clicking to get the place command.
Sorry for raising your hopes :eek:
(doubt if it will work in CS4, but there may be a reason why)

Hi Lukas

I used to get burned on this one a lot, too. I've found that it takes a few seconds for the replacement "script" to run when using image touch up. For very large images it can take a while for Photoshop to finish it's work, so save your file in Photoshop, then don't click on anything for a few seconds before going back to the Acrobat file. If you let the script finish it's replacement before clicking it will work 100% (well 99%) of the time. Usually I've got the Acrobat window I'm editing open behind Photoshop and wait until I can see the image change before continuing.

Shawn

IN CS3 just check the images.
The file cannot be locked.
View attachment 35
In CS2 you can open too but it looks different,
…but it will not save the file back into the PDF.

you can however place the edited file in acrobat by using the image touch up and right-clicking to get the place command.
Sorry for raising your hopes :eek:
(doubt if it will work in CS4, but there may be a reason why)

In CS3 I can't get Photoshop to save the image back into the PDF. If I just select "Save" it brings up the "Save As" dialog box. Why would I want to do it this way as opposed to opening the image via Acrobat's "Edit Image"?

In CS3 I can't get Photoshop to save the image back into the PDF. If I just select "Save" it brings up the "Save As" dialog box. Why would I want to do it this way as opposed to opening the image via Acrobat's "Edit Image"?

You wouldn't. I have always thought that that features purpose was to enable you to extract the image or images from the PDF in order to use them in Photoshop, not to edit and place them back in the PDF.

I have always thought that that features purpose was to enable you to extract the image or images from the PDF in order to use them in Photoshop, not to edit and place them back in the PDF.

the purpose is indeed to enable the editing of images INSIDE the PDF - meaning that after you're done in Photoshop the changes should be brought back into the PDF...

the purpose is indeed to enable the editing of images INSIDE the PDF - meaning that after you're done in Photoshop the changes should be brought back into the PDF...

How, other than placing each one manually after the Phostoshop edits? The only way I can get Photoshop to save them back into the PDF is by using the "Edit Image" command from Acrobat.

Shawn, I've noticed exactly the same thing - you need to wait till you see the image actually change in the PDF - very irritating since I mostly screw this up when I'm rushed the most!

Leonard, is CS2, in general, not meant to be run on Leopard? Is that why it runs a bit slow?

How, other than placing each one manually after the Phostoshop edits? The only way I can get Photoshop to save them back into the PDF is by using the "Edit Image" command from Acrobat.

That is correct - the Edit Image command does what we are discussing. It opens the image in Photoshop, you make the changes, then when saved, they are updated in Acrobat.

Am I missing something?

That is correct - the Edit Image command does what we are discussing. It opens the image in Photoshop, you make the changes, then when saved, they are updated in Acrobat.

Am I missing something?

Yes you are. We are talking about a Photoshop feature, not the "edit images" command in Acrobat. When you open a PDF with Photoshop, you get a dialog box that allows you to open up either the PDF or the images in the PDF. I don't believe the purpose of that feature is to edit the images and place them back on save.

Dan R.

Last edited:
I don't get that option when I try to open a PDF in PhotoShop (but I don't know why I'd want to). Maybe 'cause I'm still on CS2...

But the original question was about the 'edit image' command in Acrobat...

i had a pdf file last week, all spot colours, with an image in the pdf - obviously out of spots too

i tried to edit the image and acro wouldn't let me - is there a limit to the file types it will let you edit?

acro 7 or 8, osx 10.4.11, g5 3g ram

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back