Embedded .cxf in PDFs

Chief_1975

Hi there,

I believe embedding .cxf data in PDFs is still a work in progress with ISO / Ghent PDF group + all those other clever chaps that seems to take ages to agree on anything!, but is anybody currently embedding .cxf colour data within PDFs ?

Thanks

Embedding CxF in PDF is part of the ISO 32000-2 PDF 2.0 spec (in review, expected to be published Q1 2016)

The examples from the GWG were hand coded to the best of my knowledge.

this might be interesting for some: http://color.org/CxF_test.xalter

Last edited:
Embedding CxF in PDF is part of the ISO 32000-2 PDF 2.0 spec (in review, expected to be published Q1 2016)

The examples from the GWG were hand coded to the best of my knowledge.

this might be interesting for some: Proofing and printing documents that include spot inks

Thanks Andrew, it is interesting for the colour geeks, especially those in packaging!

I downloaded the sample PDF and inspected the internal document structure to see how the CxF data was embedded in the output intent of the PDF as XML data.

It will be interesting to see how soft/hardcopy proofing software developer’s will use this CxF info for creating better spot colour overprint predictions of solids and tints over other spots or CMYK data. Since the development of ICC profiles, there has not been too much mainstream movement of open colour formats, this is great to see.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
So apart from the CGS ORIS CxF products, is there an easy way to get the embedded XML/CxF data out of Acrobat Pro as plain text?

Stephen Marsh

I have tried a Hex Editor, however I can’t find the XML/CxF data embedded in the PDF.

Sadly, the Acrobat Pro preflight option for “browse internal PDF structure” does not allow copy/paste/export – so even though one can *view* the embedded CxF/XML text, there is no way to make use of this info outside of Acrobat Pro.

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back