enfocus pdf colour mismatch

karl whelan

I am having a problem with a colour mismatch printing from either Quark or Indesign. The problem arises when I print a pdf with any kind of transparency on a colour background. For example if the background is 15 yellow and 3 black, where the picture or text box containing the item that has the shadow overlaps the background the colour weights change when I create a pdf and where the background stays cmyk the colour behind the text/picture box becomes indexed cmyk and the values in this area have become 14.9 yellow and 3.14 black.
This doesn't seem like much but when the file goes through an Alwan workflow it makes the colour difference even more pronounced. An if I print to a HP plotter it is very evident.
I have attached a simplified pdf of the problem to this post but you will need pitstop enfocus to see the problem because it won't show on acrobat output preview.

Attachments

• original flatened.pdf
    75.7 KB · Views: 196
Are you printing postscript and distilling?
You should export directly out of InDesign to preserve transparency - See attached file that I just created by exporting.

Attachments

• Untitled-6.pdf
    18.7 KB · Views: 189
Ahhh - Sorry. We're a RamPage shop, which can take a PDF with transparency. Haven't had to fight transparency for a while.

I just tried flattening a couple different ways and I'm getting the same result.

Sorry~

You can't send a PDF with transparency through Alwan? You want to manage the color before putting it through Alwan. The color being indexed is correct. Sounds like the HP isn't liking the indexed CMYK color space for some reason. Which version of Alwan do you have?

Try a copy of Callas pdfToolbox to convert colors and then flatten. You can use your Alwan device links in pdfToolbox.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back