Epson 9900 / Wasatch RIP - Black and white prints turning out a bit green

The issue usually confronting inkjet printers regarding grey hue-shift is that the more you design an black generation strategy to control it, the more you introduce grain into highlight neutral areas. But with light and light-light black, it's possible to bring black in so early, and so strong, as to get an entirely acceptable greys --Pantone or otherwise -- in just about any reasonable lighting.

Mike

Go ahead make my day, C40 M48 Y48 K8 go ahead and print it with EcoSolvent inks on an Arlon DPF 4500LX media and laminate it, I don't care what you do when you move it from different lighting conditions it moves more then a stippers butt. This color was supplied by the client and used for yard signs, vehicle wraps and window graphics, a little shift toward the pink orange which one would expect from the build, bright salmon in daylight, more gray on the shade side of the van. We simply worked with the client to build a compromise!

You cannot change the light absorbing or reflective properties of a media or an ink set with a color profile PERIOD!

Please try and explain to my clients what is and what isn't a reasonable lighting condition, I need the humor. I get an inkjet proof that looks like a reasonable match to the press sheet in the light booth and I deliver the job to the client in their office the first thing I need to do is explain that the color shift is due to the lighting. They don't care!

I'm an old salt and lost my virginity a long time ago so saying bad things to me is alright.

Go ahead make my day, C40 M48 Y48 K8 go ahead and print it with EcoSolvent inks on an Arlon DPF 4500LX media and laminate it, I don't care what you do when you move it from different lighting conditions it moves more then a stippers butt.

GCR, GCR, GCR.

40c48m48y8k

is “exactly” the same colour as:

4c31m28y44k

or:

0c29m25y46k

​Or as Mike said “black generation”.

If the source file has a set of CMYK numbers, they will no longer be applicable once converted at the RIP to the ouput device ICC profile of the printer/media (CMYK > PCS/Lab > CMYK). However if one is using a simulation DeviceLink ICC profile, then the input CMYK can be directly transformed to output CMYK (CMYK > CMYK).

The more black that is used in the output profile, the more stability a colour will have if it can be controlled via GCR.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Take the file that produced green gray, convert to Adobe RGB in the application, make sure your RIP is set to use Adobe RGB and send the file as an Adobe RGB. You'll find that most factory media profiles tend to work best when sent RGB data. It work on our two Epsons and the Mimaki, the Roland is another story.

And the same exact intermediate Lab colour values would be produced if one correctly matched the CMYK input profiles to the input file. Whether the input is CMYK or RGB, it is all about correctly describing the input values with a profile, for the conversion to final output space.

Presuming that the input is correctly managed, both the RGB and CMYK input would produce the same incorrect green casted output if the RIP is not setup to use the correct media settings and profiles.

Stephen Marsh

The issue usually confronting inkjet printers regarding grey hue-shift is that the more you design an black generation strategy to control it, the more you introduce grain into highlight neutral areas. But with light and light-light black, it's possible to bring black in so early, and so strong, as to get an entirely acceptable greys --Pantone or otherwise -- in just about any reasonable lighting.

Mike, what RIPs are you dealing with that offer direct control of the final output of the inkjet channels/heads? Are these RIPs using a multichannel profile rather than a standard CMYK profile? Or are there CLUT or other built in controls offered in the RIP interface? Do these RIPs only offer such advanced control to certain make/models of printers but not to other supported printers that only use CMYK controls?

My experience is with proofing RIPs, not wide/grand format RIPs. With proofing RIPs, they are usually profiled as a CMYK device and the final values produced by the RIP are CMYK (a full gamut CMYK representation of CcMmYKkkOG for example). However there is no direct control of how the hardware will output the incoming CMYK file values to CcMmYKkkOG ink drops. Usually the RIP will license the internal “driver” technology from the printer OEM and they do not always offer direct control of ink channels for final output (however they may for calibration/linearization).

In the case of CGS ORIS Color Tuner, there is the option to use proprietary colour lookup tables rather than using ICC, which can offer the ability to directly drive other ink channels in a printer such as a Roland ecosolvent or UV printer while for say Epson, one still can only mix CMYK values.

Obviously having direct control offers more possibilities for fine tuning results.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
And the same exact intermediate Lab colour values would be produced if one correctly matched the CMYK input profiles to the input file. Whether the input is CMYK or RGB, it is all about correctly describing the input values with a profile, for the conversion to final output space.

Presuming that the input is correctly managed, both the RGB and CMYK input would produce the same incorrect green casted output if the RIP is not setup to use the correct media settings and profiles.

Stephen Marsh

What I've seen happen with manufacturer created profiles is in more recent cases is that they are made outside the U.S., so ISO - ECI, Japanese - ISO profiles are used when generating test prints for profiling. When we use them in the U.S. we tend to see Adobe or GRACOL CMYK profiles used. In reality if used properly all the media profile we've tested with our new Mimaki have a remarkably well made total ink coverage and gray balance for both raster and vector.

This saves time and money for the end user since the product sales prices have been in decline for over a decade. With the rapid and un-documented media changes today writing custom profiles can hardly be supported by the low profit margins. As long as the total ink value hasn't been crapped out if we see a serious issue with gray balance we just open up a manufacture made profile edit it and dump it back into the system, an hours work and we're good for hopefully a few months.

Even though I'm based in Pennsylvania I get many requests for service form Asia, they don't care about GRACOL or SWOP, it's ISO -ECI - Japanese. To be honest the U.S. market is not the biggest and they're in many ways not adapting well. Let's stick with one RIP, Rasterlynk 6.6. This RIP honors embed profiles for an image but assumes preset profiles for PDF workflows.

All color management is ICC based so there is an ICC media profile and if you want to send CMYK through this process and minimize shift then the assumed CMYK input profile should be the CMYK media profile so it can be assigned to the input stream. Since this is not happening what we see is a gray balance shift.

What we do is in the application to take the non-RGB elements and convert all color content to the document RGB, gray balance is maintained, setting the RIP to assume the document RGB we then get a proper RGB to media CMYK conversion maintaining gray balance and improved if not perfect spot color conversions. Printing form properly converted RGB source files handles the gray balance, no green, cyan, magenta use to the black.

Spot color conversion in the application are by default for a decade LAB based and are improved, I suggest at least Adobe RGB or ECI-ISO to achieve sufficient gamut for the spot color and CMYK. I also use a proper scaled test file and understand that perfect is not possible and that communication with the client is the only way to resolve shifts to ambient lighting changes.

Color and life is not perfect but it is profitable and when compared to most of my competition better.

GCR, GCR, GCR.

40c48m48y8k

is “exactly” the same colour as:

4c31m28y44k

or:

0c29m25y46k

​Or as Mike said “black generation”.

If the source file has a set of CMYK numbers, they will no longer be applicable once converted at the RIP to the ouput device ICC profile of the printer/media (CMYK > PCS/Lab > CMYK). However if one is using a simulation DeviceLink ICC profile, then the input CMYK can be directly transformed to output CMYK (CMYK > CMYK).

The more black that is used in the output profile, the more stability a colour will have if it can be controlled via GCR.

Stephen Marsh

You color management guys need to be in the real world and stop the theoretical BS, I get a guy come in with $125 worth of yard signs that some creative type (who has no concept of real world color) created using a gray that changes like Caitlynn Jenner from one light source to another.

I have to know that these neutrals will do this, I have to produce a test print with the price built into the job and have the client pick his poison, then produce the job in 30 minutes or go broke on this job.

I read what you guys say and theoretically I get it but in reality I also understand why the graphics industry is so broke. GCR, GCR , GCR is BS, BS, BS, we lose $1200 in production creating a profile. The medias change sometimes 3 times a year without any acknowledgement from the manufacturer, we use 15 different medias at least. Do the math. Changing the GCR will only change the hue of the shift not improve it nor eliminate the shift.

​The best I can hope for is to maintain a decent gray balance on my medias in a controlled environment and to rely on my skills to predict the shift of neutrals in various conditions and to communicate this with the client in a profitable manner. With all these variables and the lack of understanding of those variables it's no wonder the graphics industry is in trouble.

You color management guys need to be in the real world and stop the theoretical BS, I get a guy come in with $125 worth of yard signs that some creative type (who has no concept of real world color) created using a gray that changes like Caitlynn Jenner from one light source to another.

David, I can’t take your posts seriously or take offence at your cheap shot rant as I am a “colour management guy” and not a “color management guy” – although subtle, I believe it makes a difference. “Colour management guys” generally spent time in the real world before helping other real world guys in the trenches. For me that was over 20 years in production before moving to the vendor side of the fence. It is far from theoretical BS, without colour management you would not be able to use that inkjet to create a product that you can sell. It is also not BS that building a neutral out of more black ink than colour ink leads to a more stable neutral (presuming that the appearance of black is not the problem in the first place).

The medias change sometimes 3 times a year without any acknowledgement from the manufacturer, we use 15 different medias at least

GIGO – it sounds like the source problem is purchasing/procurement related which then creates a whole lot of production and then sales related issues. One should be able to have very simple and cheap process control in place to check that the results of ink on media do not significantly change from batch to batch and to at least be forewarned if this is the case.

TLPSfremantle if you are still out there please do post back, your topic thread has not been hijacked, we are just having some fun on the sidelines :]

Stephen Marsh

Go ahead make my day, C40 M48 Y48 K8 go ahead and print it with EcoSolvent inks on an Arlon DPF 4500LX media and laminate it...

Well, see, here's the problem right off the bat. Not only would I never try to do that, but part of the service I offer my clients -- and since they get lifetime free tech support, if it doesn't sink in right away, they always have me to fall back on -- is that that's a fool's errand.

See, when you say C40 M48 Y48 K8 or any other CMYK value, you have to define a specific CMYK color space in which those values represent a specific color.

And understand, that's all they do. They represent a specific color in a particular CMYK color space.

And I'm sorry, that's not theoretical, that is the real world.

So let’s just do a little research here, shall we?

Now, you rattled off Gracol and ECI and something to do with ISO, but just to keep it easy for this test I’m just going to assume those numbers in the almost universal US CMYK default, SWOP.

And I get them as representing L55 a9 b8 in Lab.

Now again it’s extremely important that this is not in any way “theoretical.” This is absolutely real world, and whether you want to understand it or not, or whether you want to accept it or not, this is how digital printing works.

Every pixel in every digital image is nothing more than a box full of numbers. And the numbers relate to some color space, whether the file is tagged or untagged. And that color value in that color space relates to some specific value in a “profile connection space” – which is the real, actual color value of that pixel. (This is why, incidentally, it does not matter whether you send a RIP RGB or CMYK files. In that case, the terms RGB and CMYK represent pixel definitions, not printing processes.) And again, that’s not theory. That’s simply the way it is.

Okay, so, let’s just take a look at what CMYK values L55 a9 b8 represents in some profiles I’ve made on other inkjet printers.

Here’s a Mimaki JV33. Inkset is Mimaki EcoSol CMYKcm. RIP is Onyx. Stock is cast vinyl.

C35; M59; Y59; K10.

A Seiko M64S. Inkset is CMYKcmk. RIP is Onyx. Stock is cast vinyl.

C24; M46; Y30; K27

A Seiko H274S. Inkset is CMYKcmkllk RIP is Onyx. Stock is cast vinyl.

C27; M49; Y37; K29.

So what does this show?

Several things, actually. And the first is just how important black and light-light black are to controlling hue shift.

Because it is imperative to understand that hue-shift is caused by creating the grey base neutral colors out of CM&Y out of printing condition necessity, as opposed to creating them out of black. The earlier and the more aggressively you can bring in black, the more you can control hue-shift. That is the reason for light black and light-light black. The problem is that a lot of people who write profiles for light and light black inksets don't understand that. And if they're not properly taken advantage of in a profile, they might as well not be there.

I made all of these profiles, all of them are for vehicle wrappers, and one intent of all of them is to control hue-shift in neutrals to the largest extent possible.

And understand the problem: Can I bring in the black on any or all of these machines earlier and more aggressively?

Absolutely.

And, if I do, the hue shift will get correspondingly better – at the expense of graininess. So it’s a judgment call. And many times it depends on what the client wants the final piece to do, and where he wants it to go. But, having been doing this for ten years, for clients all over the world – the real one, not a theoretical one – I can tell you it works for them.

So, yes, it’s true, the machine you’re using puts you at a disadvantage right from the start with this particular issue. But don’t get upset with me for pointing that out. And note that it doesn’t change the fact that if you have competitors with the other machines shown above, if they’re profiled correctly, they have a pretty good leg up on you in this area.

Ohh… And note that since every one of these profiles was made to be used with laminated media, they were all made with the profile patches laminated before reading. That way they are in their true final color state laminated, and their profiles direct the printers accordingly. Meaning that they are completely color accurate outside, laminated.

So, what would I do in your little scenario outlined above?

What I’d do is take a swatch of the actual color the client wants to hit, and I’d read it into the RIP with a spectrophotometer. Then I’d give that color a name, and that Lab value and name would be that color. And it’s that name I’d use in all my design applications.

Then, as long as my printers are properly profiled in my environment, I can be absolutely confident that every time I send that color to print, I am getting as close a match as it is physically possible for me to get.

And it works. I’ve set up workflows just like this from coast to coast. And since every client gets The Correct Color Guarantee, and lifetime free tech support, if you want to deny that it works, fine, you can.

Just as tomorrow morning you can deny the sunrise.

Just to add:

What I've seen happen with manufacturer created profiles is in more recent cases is that they are made outside the U.S., so ISO - ECI, Japanese - ISO profiles are used when generating test prints for profiling…

Untrue.

An ICC profile of any device is a characterization of that device reproducing color in a particular state. So, the way the profile is made is that the device is brought into that state, and then it is sent a series of raw color values, it reproduces them, then those reproduced colors are read with some sort of color reading device, and those readings are used to create the characterization – the ICC profile.

Let's stick with one RIP, Rasterlynk 6.6.

Oh, let’s not…

See, what any RIP does is it converts pixel information into dot information based on information in profiles.

In profiles.

See, that’s what a lot of people – you evidently included – seem to have trouble wrapping their minds around. The RIP creates an RTL file, which is the printing dots. The RIP has no idea how the printer actually is going to print those dots.

None. All it does is make dots per the profile.

So the more the profile captures every bit of your printer’s capability, and the more it’s designed to do exactly what you want to do on a particular media, and the more it matches how your printer in your environment actually prints, the better the printing dots you’re going to get.

So in this business, profiles are everything.

And yet unlike every other RIP out there, Rasterlink does not come with the tools needed to create custom media profiles. Not even the in-RIP machine-state parts.

To me, that rules it out as a serious tool for anyone in any way serious about color.

…we lose $1200 in production creating a profile.

Creating profiles is an art, and a science. But on machines such as your machine – assuming it was run with a real RIP – I typically make about five profiles a day.

The medias change sometimes 3 times a year without any acknowledgement from the manufacturer, we use 15 different medias at least.

Funny, every profile I make I test four separate ways before I install it and run a test print. And one of those tests is for white point, primaries and black point. So I am pretty familiar with the white points of all the major media, and I can tell you from my experience, well, hell, in all the time I’ve been doing this, I’ve never seen them move.

I have seen some issues with laminates wandering around a little. But even that is minimal enough that virtually every client I have would rather laminate with what they currently have on the floor for profiling than to run unlamented profiles for lammed applications.

Do the math.

Ohhhh – Kay.

15 profiles.

That’d be a three day project. That’s $1250 a day plus expenses. Let’s say expenses run another $1250.00.

You’re looking at 5 grand.

Plus you’d need a real RIP to do this.

Cheapest you could get to do all you need to do would be Onyx RIP Center – which I can sell you. It doesn’t have Media Manager, but you wouldn’t need it because I’d be writing your profiles.

$1695.00

So, you’re into this now for $6695.00

Now of course you’re going to rant and rave and make a snide comment about a stripper’s butt, or a transexual…

But just suppose you’re wrong.

Just suppose it works.

Just suppose all your color issues vanished, just like that?

Would it be worth it?

You do the math.

Please try and explain to my clients what is and what isn't a reasonable lighting condition, I need the humor.

So…

You really think your clients are all that unique?

You really think that there in Pennsylvania you have some sort of monopoly on clients who are discriminating about color?

Let me tell you something: They aren’t. You don’t.

Fact is I can’t even begin to tell you how many times I’ve heard words to that very same effect, and yet the fact is in my lifetime I’ve dealt with many, many world-class and very discriminating graphic designers, and I know how to talk to them, and in the end what they’re all after.

And in the end what they’re all after is to make sure that whomever they’re working with understands the process they’re working with, understands the physics involved and is getting for them every bit of what is physically possible out of that process.

Now, fact is that in your current environment, you’re not. A competitor right down the street with a real RIP, an H2 Seiko, or an M64S Seiko, or a CMYKOcmk Epson Sure Color properly profiled who understands how to create a spot color can blow you into the weeds on hue-shifting neutrals.

And yes, it is true that competitor will still have some hue shift on that color, but it will be in the “sweet spot” as I like to call it, and since that competitor has done everything he can do to eliminate the problem, and if he can explain it step by step to the client, then the client will be satisfied.

Mike Adams
Correct Color

Last edited:
Stephen,

Mike, what RIPs are you dealing with that offer direct control of the final output of the inkjet channels/heads? Are these RIPs using a multichannel profile rather than a standard CMYK profile? Or are there CLUT or other built in controls offered in the RIP interface? Do these RIPs only offer such advanced control to certain make/models of printers but not to other supported printers that only use CMYK controls?

It depends on the RIP. And it also depends on the driver.

The elements involved are always the same: There are the splits between the different inks within a particular color channel, then there are whatever different dot sizes a printer uses, and if, when, and how they're brought in. And then of course if the printer is more than CMYK, whether the ICC profile can be made as an actual more-than-CMYK profile, or whether the RIP does the conversion internally.

Just as examples: Wasatch, which the OP uses and is something of a lower-end RIP, offers some rudimentary control of drop sizes used in inaital setup, but not in the profiling process. it also offers no control over ink splits at all. (Over the years, btw, I've come to consider this to be an unpardonable sin from any RIP. Ink splits are crucial to so much of how a profile works that I would not buy a RIP that did not allow ink split control.)

Caldera does allow ink-split control, and does allow some control of dot sizes. However, it does not allow a profiler to make more-than-CMYK profiles. Regardless of driver or machine, it will only let you create a CMYK profile. I've railed at them about this, btw, but to no avail.

Onyx has a feature that allows you to take absolute and full control of the printer. You have to know how to turn it on, and you have to know how to use it, but it is there. It also allows a profiler to make profiles for the actual color space -- more than CMYK, if it is -- but there are some drivers -- such as the Epson Sure-Color -- that override that, and will only let you make a CMYK profile.

My experience is with proofing RIPs, not wide/grand format RIPs. With proofing RIPs, they are usually profiled as a CMYK device and the final values produced by the RIP are CMYK (a full gamut CMYK representation of CcMmYKkkOG for example). However there is no direct control of how the hardware will output the incoming CMYK file values to CcMmYKkkOG ink drops. Usually the RIP will license the internal “driver” technology from the printer OEM and they do not always offer direct control of ink channels for final output (however they may for calibration/linearization).

Those are what are known as "contone" profiles. And they usually work fine provided you're making a profile for a media that is the same as a media for which the original settings were made. However, if you're not, then it can get to be pretty critical to be able to create a machine state -- single-channel ink limits/drop size/ink splits/multi-channel ink limits -- unique to a particular media.

David,

All color management is ICC based so there is an ICC media profile and if you want to send CMYK through this process and minimize shift then the assumed CMYK input profile should be the CMYK media profile so it can be assigned to the input stream. Since this is not happening what we see is a gray balance shift.

That's not just a little untrue.

It's entirely untrue.

It makes every bit as much sense as saying that if I'm going to make a map from the airport to your place, then what I need to do is enter the address of the airport as your address.

You color management guys need to be in the real world and stop the theoretical BS...

Funny thing, David. I've been doing color management as Correct Color for ten years now. And in that time I've seen many, many, many people rail about color management, and about how it doesn't work.

But the thing is, it does work. It works better then anything else out there because it accounts for every variable in the process.

I've also seen a lot of people spend a lot of money on "fixes" and heard the peddlers of those "fixes" rail about the supposed deficiencies of color management. But the thing is, all of the "deficiencies" are simply due to the fact that color management has to be complete to be effective.

Too many try to learn it online or do it on the cheap, and then spend years wasting money because of it.

Fact is, I can tell by this exchange that if you called me, it would save you probably triple what you'd pay me over the course of the coming year.

And that, my friend, is the real world.

Mike

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back