Esko PDF Workflow and Dynastrip

impodave

We've recently attempted to switch from Nexus Pageflow to a Nexus PDF workflow. We use Dynastrip 5.3.1 for imposition to plate and proofing. We have encountered a number of issues that neither Esko or Dynagram are prepared to solve. I don't have much experience with design programs or Neo, so be easy on me...

1)If the job is all CMYK, we're good to go. If It is spot colors, I'm in addition getting CMYK showing up when sending to plate. The design people insist that the only colors in the document are the proper colors... Esko suggests that the files may be incorrect.
2) The output controls that I am used to having in Dynastrip have been compromised using JDF PDF. I cant send one side of a sheet without the other side going also. The only way to prevent this is to use the prevent output function(black box) under sheet. The front or back checkboxes are useless. I can't send one color without the others going also. The only method I've come up with is to place a hold on the copy file module in the workflow...
3) The custom file name that Ive created in Dynastrip ( Not the text tag on the plate) will not not appear in the queues in either output device. I spent half a Saturday playing with the naming functions in the workflow just to give the platemaker a decent way to recognize exactly what job or sheet he was making...

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated....

of COURSE the PDF files are wrong - or, better said, they are NOT in the condition that are required for the system you are sending the PDF files to.

or - the system you are sending the designers PDF files to is too inflexible to sort things out.

So, you have three choices (I have placed them in order that I would do if you made me knig for a day)

1. DESIGINER EDUCATION approach --> Determine what the idea condition of spot color PDF files SHOULD be - you know, so they will work perfectly ith your workflow system (that is, start at plate room and work back to designer), then show the designer how to make PDF files properly.(This approach works best when working with customers who are INSIDE your building)

2. PREPRESS WORKER approach --> Show the Esko and Dynastrip users how to repair the submitted files so they work as required (This approach works best when working with customers who are OUTSIDE your building)

3. Send files to vendor and ask them for recommendation (sounds like you may have already did this, and you may have not liked their answer so much, and are asking for a second opinion) - if you CANT DO 1 or 2, you may have to consider switching vendors or getting someone who has mad skills in Esko or Dynastrip and insert them into the prepress department.

I will suggest that there are not many things that can't be fixed with Enfocus PitStop Extreme, and if the customer files always seem to have the same thing wrong consitantly, that approach 1 or 2 can be easily implemented.

Michael Jahn
Jahn & Associates

http://twitter.com/michaelejahn

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back