ESKO vs. LUCID

Anyone have any thoughts? Already have a harleqin rip, just looking for an easier workflow solution with it.
pros? cons?

Thanks for considering our workflow.

We have a new workflow that I'd love to give you a demo of. TaskForce (Lite or Full) we are starting to install this in a number of shops and it is really packed with features at a fraction of the price. We have online job submission - this has recently been upgraded to support a java based multi-file upload capability. It is fast and easy to use. The Job Ticketing has been upgraded to support Javascript for form checking and even the possibility of calculations for estimating and such. The Production Assistant is recently updated for running as a service to automatically route jobs to the rip based on the job ticket. The TaskForce Rip has the support for latest transparency. I-Trap is integrated into the rip workflow for either auto or integrated trapping. Workflows come pre-configured with the installer for exporting PDFx1A files for both final production and soft proofing back to the web interface. We have integrated the Dynagram INPO2 Atom plugin for imposition. I-Tone does the screening with Hybrid Screening and it is now fully integrated with the TIFF Pager module for dot proofing, 1 bit TIFF archiving in PDF form, and DCS file creation if needed. This entire package is under $10K! Try and beat that anywhere!

We are a small web flexo shop and we primarily do 2-8 spot color aerosol labels. We are getting more process work and are expected to produce offset quality results. Currently, everything is done using film and analog plates, so we have decided to buy a proofing system and we will also be sending some art to a vendor for digital plates.
I am looking for an easy workflow just to be able to apply proofing or plating profiles to our finished art, send to the output device of my choice, and easily archive the job upon completion. Trapping is a plus, but not necessary (we currently do application trapping)
Would like to incorporate our current harlequin rip in to the workflow, but that is not set in stone either.

If you are working in Adobe Illustrator may I suggest you take a look at EskoArtwork DeskPack plugins for Ai that includes many tools useful in Flexo production, including trapping ( non-destructive to your artwork, and fully editable in Ai ), ink controls, step and repeat, bar code production, prepress preflight check, design tools and more. Behind that we can provide output to any device or digital system that you wish to employ. All through and within the Ai environment.

Otherwise we can surely scale our BackStage workflow and output formats to suit your needs. . It's good stuff, and may be just what you are looking for.

Adobe® Illustrator® - EskoArtwork <--- click here.

Last edited:
If you are just looking for a drop in Workflow, Look at GPS from Xitron. Depending on the RIP version you have, it may need to be upgraded, but it is a perfect Workflow for your situation.

Be aware of the harlequin based workflows, they are all stuck together pieces that dont really work that well together, Ive owned the Compose worlflow and it is anything but a worlflow, every piece of there puzzle is cumbersome and all based around the harlequin rip, which, is in reality just another postscript interepreter that global graphics adapted, and, it is terrible with transparency, and the technology has not changed for at least 10 years.

Trapping plug ins from all the vendors are terrible, even the $4500++ global graphics "trap pro" plug-in wont even use more than 256mb of ram, which is very fucking puzzling, then crashes the RIP with a "render bands error". I-trap I like, but is just overkill for a simple process, trapping is trapping, dont oversell it.

The compose PRI Imposition ($10,000) and PDF imposition ($10,000) win the prize for most cumbersome interface award, and if you do eventually waste your weekend getting a workflow going then you will only be let down by the harlequin rip again.

Composes proofing plugin, DI proof, doesnt allow to reverse the curves for the plate calibration, so you need to rerip it again, the other plugins are really just a joke.

If you want a workflow, dont even consider one based around a global graphics "RIP", they will be phased out by real APPE rips, all Harlequin based workflow resellers are wolves in sheeps clothing, beware!!, dont buy unless you see it working for yourself, and i mean working at your place, not some other 2 bit idiot they paid to show you around there place that loves it.

Pay some good money for a good workflow and see it working first before you buy it.

Be aware of the harlequin based workflows, they are all stuck together pieces that dont really work that well together, Ive owned the Compose worlflow

I find it strange that having owned a Compose workflow apparently has proven to you that all workflows based on Global Graphics technology are bad.

And I don't even work for Global Graphics...
David.

Cosmo,

It's a shame people like you base their opinion on one bad experience. You obviously dealt with someone who did not know what they were doing, otherwise you would not have had the problems you so elegantly stated...

Depending on the version of Workflow / RIP you purchased, there may have been some issues with the earlier versions, as there are with any software, but the new GPS with the Harlequin ver. 8 is very smooth and easy to operate and manage. And by the way, ALL Workflows utilize software and plug-ins from most of the same vendors. Do you think that all of the other manufacturers write their own interpreters?

The new Trap-Pro meets if not exceeds what it is advertised to do. All trapping software will have issues with some files. Nothing is perfect and your bombing issues and lack of memory usage again is do to improper equipment ie. PC, not enough memory or memory allocation...... in other words again bad install....

I'm trying not to take your comments personnaly, but as a Harlequin Dealer for 12 years, we have NEVER had a dissatisfied customer. And most of us don't pay our customers to do a demo for us. After all, our customers are not 2 bit idiots. Your comment doesn't even make sense (show you around there place that loves it.)

If you have an ax to grind, fine. But you need to direct it to those who have done you wrong and not blame a product that is tried and true and used world wide including all of the major manufacturers for their output devices.

Good luck to you, and you should fine a repritable company to help out with your issues, and that may not mean the cheapest...

Thanks for all your input and rage. I have looked at the Navigator GPS, iTrap, ESKO deskpak, and Xante OpenRIP. I'm afraid we are going to opt out of the whole workflow solution discussion. I'm going to go with a more conventional workflow and do our traps and imposition on the light table. In fact, we are investing a lot of money in a camera for our darkroom for any line work art we get. It was hard to find one, but we did. I think this will be the most efficient without having to worry about different raster engines and transparencies and sheep.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back