Experience with Versant 2100?

My hope was to use the full width array for day to day calibration, after the profiling was done using the spectro.

You have to do the first calibration with the Spectro. Then if you want to use the FWA for day to day calibration you then calibrate with the FWA, before you create a profile. There is a color difference if you create a profile with Spectro calibration and the later use the FWA. Also after all this it takes 18 sheets to do a FWA calibration, with some of them being warmup sheets and two reads. Then the strange thing with using the Spectro is that in calibration preferences you can no longer choose to print warmup sheets like you could with other machines. I am sure your 75 has this as my 770 has a choice to print warmup sheets when using the ILS or the Spectro.

Have you had any experience running linens through the Versant? Wondered if it handled textured stocks better than the C75/J75.

Have you had any experience running linens through the Versant? Wondered if it handled textured stocks better than the C75/J75.

I have some here to try, just been to busy right now. I'll report back.

Last edited:
Thought this might interest you. Had some people from Xerox here today and showed them a card printed with Versant that was gloss coated and it really popped. Had them guess if it was inkjet or digital press. They guessed inkjet.

Thought this might interest you. Had some people from Xerox here today and showed them a card printed with Versant that was gloss coated and it really popped. Had them guess if it was inkjet or digital press. They guessed inkjet.

I'm excited. We have some big projects, for picky clients, we want to put on it. They are installing Thursday, or Friday.

On the 13 x 19 imaging issue with the EX-P if you set a custom page size to 13 x 19 it will image the full width.

You have to override the paper catalog setting in CWS, as the custom setting in the paper catalog comes in using the default setting 13 x 19 setting instead of the custom 13 x 19 setting and will only image to 470mm instead of 475mm with the custom paper size.

Last edited:
On the 13 x 19 imaging issue with the EX-P if you set a custom page size to 13 x 19 it will image the full width.

You have to override the paper catalog setting in CWS, as the custom setting in the paper catalog comes in using the default setting 13 x 19 setting instead of the custom 13 x 19 setting and will only image to 470mm instead of 475mm with the custom paper size.

Ours has the EX, rather than the EX-P. Thank you for sharing, I will be happy to have the workaround.

Installers are arriving at 8am tomorrow.

On another note, does anyone else think that the Versant is going to hurt Color Press 1000 sales? Other than the 5th color station, which many people have no interest in, I can't really see much to justify the extra cost.

Having looked at both I don't think the versant is as robust as the 1000. That's why we signed for the 1000. After running 3 skids of 100lb cover in less than a week without a single glitch, I'm glad I went with the 1000. I do think the versant will put a big hurt in the Konica and Canon sales though.

Does anyone have any thoughts yet on the EX-P vs EX RIP? We're being told by Xerox that the EX-P is only applicable to variable data environments (which we don't do). As far as I've been able to find out, the only difference between the two is more memory and a faster processor. That sounds good, but I'm being quoted £7,000 difference (about US$11,000) between the EX and EX-P, so I don't want to spend that if it's really not necessary.

Would also still be grateful if anyone has any feedback on how well the Versant copes with mixed media jobs?

All I can say about RIPs is get the most you can cause at some point you will kick yourself in the butt if you go cheep now. I can also say there are huge differences between Xerox RIPs and Konica, I have the"high end" RIP on our 6000 and it is a dog compared to Xerox. Our 8080 RIP was older and twice as fast as the one on our 6000. The processors are different too.

On another note, does anyone else think that the Versant is going to hurt Color Press 1000 sales? Other than the 5th color station, which many people have no interest in, I can't really see much to justify the extra cost.

It already has. While it was not Xerox's intent to affect the 800/1000 line (they were only concerned that it would affect the C/J 75 series), prices on the 1000 have dropped significantly since the introduction of the Versant. The original quote we got earlier in the year for a 1000 was around $X,XXX a month on a 60 month lease which comes out to around $XXX,XXX (including the EX RIP). The quote we got last month for a 1000 was $X,XXX/month on a 60 month lease including the RIP. A little over $XXX,XXX. That's $140,000 less than a year ago. What does that tell you?

We havent ordered a Versant, yet. But, value-wise. It's looking REAL good. When compared to the 8000/8080 line, the 2100 is 20% faster (100ppm vs 80ppm), and almost 50% less expensive (the 8000/8080 series occupied the $240k to $260k price space, while the Versant 2100 is in the $130k to $150k range). It has all the bells and whistles of the 1000 (full-width array, belt fuser instead of heat-roller fuser, 10-bit VCSEL Raster Object Imaging, etc.) as well as some new productivity enhancements not found on the 1000. Still don't know if it will handle mixed stocks without slowing down, but, the fuser technology being used is the same as the 1000, so, logically, it should.

As far as the difference between the EX and the "hyper" EX-P RIP, according to the research, the EX-P RIP actually uses ALL 4 processors of the quad-4 computer during the RIP process, simultaneously. Much, much faster, and, worth the extra $$, especially if you are doing heavy variable image jobs.

Best

-MailGuru

PS: While the 5th color station on the 1000 was interesting, and, a big sales point from the Xerox guys, we couldn't figure out an actual practical use for it in our specific product mix. I'm sure there must be one, but, we've been in digital color for about 12 years now, and we've never had a call for it from any of our customers.

Edit Note: Realized that the quote was confidential in nature. Redacted actual quote numbers.

Last edited:
When we had our estimate for the Versant vs the 1000, the lease payment was actually $900.00/month less for the 1000 than the Versant. We opted for the 1000 with the Clear option and have not regretted it. We do a lot of wedding invitations and the clear has allowed for many enhancements with dimensional and watermark options. Our install was a little rough on the 1000 but it hasn't stopped running since, the thing is a beast.

When we had our estimate for the Versant vs the 1000, the lease payment was actually $900.00/month less for the 1000 than the Versant. We opted for the 1000 with the Clear option and have not regretted it. We do a lot of wedding invitations and the clear has allowed for many enhancements with dimensional and watermark options. Our install was a little rough on the 1000 but it hasn't stopped running since, the thing is a beast.

Sounds like you got a GREAT deal !

I think that pretty much puts-to-bed the question of whether or not the Versant has affected the 1000 pricing.............

-MailGuru

MailGuru is right. The EX-P rip is about 40%+ faster than the chaper one. It is extremely interesting to watch the EX-P ripping through a heavy duty variable data file (extremely fast). EX-P rip also comes with EFI Graphics arts premium kit. If you have a use for that kit the price difference is only few thousand euros.

Sounds like you got a GREAT deal !

I think that pretty much puts-to-bed the question of whether or not the Versant has affected the 1000 pricing.............

-MailGuru

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back