Exporting pdfs without a specific spot color

RickWhiteman

I've got FPO copy in a file set to a specific "FPO Ignore" spot color so we can ignore the color in Rampage. That way we don't have to actually delete copy from a file to make it FPO -- it just goes away in the RIP.

Anyone know of a way I can generate a pdf from either Quark or InDesign and ignore that FPO spot color in the pdf?

Thanks!

-- Rick

Sure, you can use callas pdfToolbox to move it to a new layer and hide/remove the layer. You can use PitStop to select and remove.

Would it not depend on how the spot colour is used? When handling keyline we would normally put them on a seperate layer an that way we are able to turn it off for PDF proofs. If the spot colour interacts with other objects is it allways on overprint? Even if not 100%?

I agree with Lukas. Put it on its own layer and instead of turning off the layer before exporting/printing, just make the layer non-printing in the layer options dialog box. That way you can still see it on screen and make edits if you need to, but don't have to worry about it printing. It eliminates the hassle of turning it off and on all the time. See attached. If there is something on the non-printing layer over something on another layer, it won't knock out, so you don't have to worry about manually setting things to overprint.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-20 at 1.31.26 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-08-20 at 1.31.26 PM.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
With either pdfToolbox or PitStop Pro we can create the layers and make the selected objects overprint so that there aren't any knockout issues.

I ended up making a new action in Pitstop and setting the FPO color to transparent. I was just looking to avoid that step, but this'll work fine. Thanks for the responses.

And these jobs happened to come in with both printing and FPO copy in the same text box, so I couldn't move the FPO to another layer without duping/moving/layering and all that...

Turn it off in the rip

Turn it off in the rip

For instance in a Harlequin rip you could just define this spot color and set its print option to "No". Then any job with this ink will not have those elements print.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back