Facing page masters causing problems

gwh

Hi everyone,

I have a 72 page Indesign file. It's a facing page document and it uses about 10 or so master pages. Most of the pages have elements that bleed off the page and I need to supply the printer with a single page pdf with trim marks and bleed.

The problem is that because it's a facing page document as opposed to single pages, and the master pages are set up as facing pages, all left hand pages have bleed on the left but not the right and all right hand pages have bleed on the right and not the left side. The only way I can think of to create the bleed is to prepare one page at a time, ie. force the master page elements onto the pages and then manually create the bleed on the affected side on a page-by-page basis.

This is going to take such a long time so I wondered if there was an easier way and if not is there a better way to set up the file for future use so that this problem doesn't happen at other times?

Really appreciate any help.

Shouldnt matter, as they will only impose them and if there was bleed on those edges it would only disappear. If they have a problem find a different printer.

A

Thanks for the reply,

So are you saying that the pdf file should only have the bleed on the side where it actually is?

Just one further question if that's ok: If I use the faux italics in Indesign, ie where the font used doesn't actually have an italic member in the font family, will this come out italic when it's printed or will the imagesetter substitute a font for that particular word?

We run into this problem when a job spiral or comb binds and bleed is needed but the job has been set up as spreads and the art stops at the gutter.

Does your job spiral or comb bind? If so, you can fix just the pages needing fixed by following these steps. If a 2 page spread has artwork that jumps the gutter, you should be able to leave these pages alone because when you export them with bleed turned on, it will pick up the bleed from the opposing page and have bleed on all four sides of the .pdf.

However, if the art on either of the two pages stops at the gutter, these pages will need to be turned into single pages so you can pull the bleed out. Step 1: Turn "allow document pages to shuffle" and "allow selected spread to shuffle" off in the pages drop down menu. Step 2: turn off "facing pages" in the document set up window. When it asks you to maintain current spreads, click "yes". Step 3: on pages where you need to extend bleed in the gutter, turn these into single pages by dragging the page as shown. Step 4: after the 2 page spread has turned into single pages, pull out the bleed as necessary. The only other option when dealing with files like this that need to have bleed for jobs with spiral or comb binding is to leave the file alone and under trim the job. Hope this helps. See attached .jpgs.

Attachments

• step 1.jpg
    step 1.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 232
  • step 2.jpg
    step 2.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 210
  • step 3.jpg
    step 3.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 226
  • step 4.jpg
    step 4.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 239
AJR is correct only if the job is being saddle stitched. If the job is being spiral or comb bound, then you would need bleed on all four sides of the pdf. Like I said though, if the art goes across the gutter, when you create the .pdf InDesign will pick up the image from the opposite page and the pdf will have bleed on all four sides. It's only the pages that has art that stops at the gutter that needs to be fixed and bleed added.

Yeah, saddle stitch youre right sorry most of our stuff is. Regarding the italics who knows, get a proof from your printers ideally ripped!

A

Another way of dealing with bleeds can be to add bleed and overlap them on master pages so when you make your single page PDF's, they contain bleed as well as portion of the bleed from oposite page, than you just delete bleed from oposite page.
It is interesting that software companies such as Adobe and Quark have not come up with better solution for end user.
I would advise against faux italic.
It might come out sort of ok but you are looking at potential disaster, just use Italic font.

Folio's moved when spreads pulled apart

Folio's moved when spreads pulled apart

Hey ox,

Just last week I had a 224 page job that was supplied by the customer in InDesign as 5 separate documents and set up as facing pages. The majority of the pages all had photos going to the gutters but not crossing over. I tried allowing the pages to shuffle but the master pages had auto numbering and when i pulled the spreads apart the right hand pages ended up having its folio on the left instead of the right. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Erik

Why would you need to pull the spreads apart? We just save out as single page PDFs.

A

If you skip Step 2 (turning off facing pages), it should still allow you to drag the spreads into single pages without affecting whether they're right or left pages and affecting master page items. If you have an image that goes across both pages, it may only transfer to one or the other, so you may have to copy and paste that item onto the page it goes missing on.

See the attached 2 images.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-03 at 9.55.49 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-09-03 at 9.55.49 AM.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 247
  • Screen shot 2010-09-03 at 9.55.56 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2010-09-03 at 9.55.56 AM.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 213
To me setting up this type of job in spreads is a mistake, unless it's being printed as 2 page spreads. We get this all the time and because we're usually printing 4 page spreads it's a pain. I prefer a single pages document so prepress can deal with it how they want.
As far as using the faux italic, I say never. If you need an italic pick a font that has one built it (the same goes for bold or small cap issues.) There are thousands of fonts out there that have what you need. Why pick one that doesn't. Even if it doesn't show up enough for the layman to notice it's still wrong. Using the italic button is word processing not typography.
Lenny

This may or may not be of help, however attached is an InDesign script for splitting facing pages in long documents (of course, disclaimers such as work on a copy of the original file etc).

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

Attachments

• SeparatePages.zip
    1 KB · Views: 256
It is easy to faux italics, or to be more semantically correct to Obleque/skew text just type in the skew angle and presto.

On masters, I allways teach customers not to spread objects across spreads if you want to be able to use left or right pages independantly. (If you have a cover image across front and back then a master page with the image across spread and front being the right, back being left page of master is an exception to the rule)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back