facing pages indesign

wonderings

This is probably a really simple question, but I cannot find an answer for it. When I setup a document in Indesign, say an 8 page book, facing pages. How do I set the first and last page to not have bleeds on the spine area? My imposition plugin will do it for me after I impose once, then have to impose again with the bleeds set properly for the document. I cannot find for the life of me where I set this up myself. Using latest version of Indesign CC.

did you turn on the page guides? if they're facing, you can just drag your image boxes to terminate at the spine. am i missing something?

This is probably a really simple question, but I cannot find an answer for it. When I setup a document in Indesign, say an 8 page book, facing pages. How do I set the first and last page to not have bleeds on the spine area? My imposition plugin will do it for me after I impose once, then have to impose again with the bleeds set properly for the document. I cannot find for the life of me where I set this up myself. Using latest version of Indesign CC.

Does it really matter? It's not something that we have ever worried about. Our imposition software (Quite) just picks up the trim box from the exported PDF and uses that to determine finished page size. This means that it doesn't matter whether an image on the left-hand side of the front cover stops at the page boundary, or continues to the bleed (in which case the bleed is ignored.)

I am imposing from an indesign file, usually PDF's placed in indesign, Then I use Croptima. I know I can bring the image right to the edge of the sheet and not into the bleed, but want to be able to do this I can export a PDF with document bleed settings. This is what I get by default for the first page:

This is what I am after:

As you can see the bleed on the left hand side is not there. Is this possible to do or just something my imposition program is doing in some weird way?

This thread made me go hummm but started looking around and lo and behold . .. an answer I think

In your document setup set the bleeds to .125 or whatever your choice is .. then uncheck the "chain" icon next to the bleed settings and set the "inside" to 0 . . . that should do what you want - I think :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-10 at 8.02.36 AM.pdf
    103.8 KB · Views: 223
This thread made me go hummm but started looking around and lo and behold . .. an answer I think

In your document setup set the bleeds to .125 or whatever your choice is .. then uncheck the "chain" icon next to the bleed settings and set the "inside" to 0 . . . that should do what you want - I think :)

That does exactly it, thanks! I knew it had to be simple. I looked at my bleed settings a thousand times, but never unchecked the "link" button.

Thanks again, my question is answered!

i thought you wanted different bleed settings on different pages?

No, and I probably did not work my question correctly. Just wanted to have the left side of the front cover bleed off and the right for the back cover, like in the pictures. Everything else would be normal for bleed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back