Feedback wanted on Xerox 700

Pokey

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but I have retrieved a lot of useful information already. I am on the verge of acquiring a Xerox 700 Digital Color Press (signing papers in the next day or two), and I would like to hear feedback from current users.

I am planning to run an average of 75,000 prints per month. Due to budgetary constraints, the machine will be configured with a offsetting catch tray. Is there going to be a problem with decurling, or this built-in to the engine? I have read all of the brochures, the CED, and the manuals for this machine and it wasn't clear if the IFM is necessary for decurling.

Please let me know what your feelings about the machine are (positive/negative) or if any of you have had nightmare scenarios or unfixable problems.

Thank you!

I hear the 5065 drum problems are evident in this machine. I might just be trying to russle up some feedback tho.

we are running the x700 for a couple of months now with creo rip. the prints seemed ok at first glance, but we are experiencing major problems with rip and machine. It seems Xerox was in rush to give it out for Drupa, but the 700 has major problems in workflow, as well as the Creo RIP which is basically a modified version of the one used for DC5000. X700 is a nice machine, but I advise to wait at least a year before considering it, so Xerox removes all major problems (alignement problems, color print problems, fuser damages paper) not to mention the Rip problems (which are present also in both other RIPS, at least I heard).
We are probably returning it this month as no one was able to correct the major problems within 60 days.

smatros,

Thanks for the info.

I am getting the machine with the embedded Fiery. I do all of RGB>CMYK conversions in Photoshop (EFI conversions are quite primitive) and all my imposition in InDesign with some scripts I wrote. As long as the RIP can feed data to the machine it should be OK for me.

I am opting for the 30-day no-risk lease plan so I will test it extensively.

What volume are you running?

random,

I have not heard of the problem you refer to. What are the 5065 drum problems?

TIA

we are doing around 25k monthly, moved from dc250. happy with results of test, but ran into bunch of problems when started using x700 for full production. my advise is to test carefully and do not repeat my mistake to keep the machine with problems. they are growing each day and xerox is doing nothing about it!

Have you tried utilising your Total Satisfaction Guarantee to get a replacement? Maybe that particular machine is bad. I am also interested to know if that actually works.

To answer my own question from my first post: the engine does not include decurling it is only available in a finisher.

700 - rip issues

700 - rip issues

We got the xerox 700 almost 4 weeks now and it still doesent work, as soon as you send a job over the machine crashes. Also problems with fusing when running heavy solids. Registration is also a big issue, they need to change their marketing materials where it says its good for printing business cards, postcards and brochures that need tight register. I would not recommend it if you plan to run 75K impressions a month, it is not built like our 6060 which can handle the volume

Ian

I saw this some years ago where the drum latency was too long for one revolution. This caused a ghosting effect and repeat images of previously exposed areas. I think they went thru several drum revisons and sorted it out in the end. One would assume at a greater speed this would be even more of an issue. But im just speculating.

Ian,

I saw a posting from you in another thread. You have the Integrated Fiery, correct? For the fusing problem, do you have Toner Reduction turned on in Command WorkStation?

Have you had any problems with toner dropping or paper jams/misfeeds?

random,

I have seen print samples from this machine, and they are the best dry electrostatic transfer prints I have ever seen, even beating Canon's imagePRESS line, which was my former no.1 pick. No ghosting.

You would need a specific type of file to see the fault. People tend to demo machines with the most complex and busy images that show nothing. Unfortunatly this is rarely what you print in the real world. Create a file that is on 12x18 which is like a 30-40% brownish color. On the right hand side (say this is the cover of a book) write in white text "I hope I don't see this repeating across the page" and then do 100 prints on heavy card. let us know how you get on.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 700 will have excellent print quality. It's just maintaining that quality that counts.

i agree with random. x700 has problems maintaining the quality, after 50k prints this is nicely seen. we are servicing the machine each week.

Last edited:
Ian,

I saw a posting from you in another thread. You have the Integrated Fiery, correct? For the fusing problem, do you have Toner Reduction turned on in Command WorkStation?

Have you had any problems with toner dropping or paper jams/misfeeds?

random,

I have seen print samples from this machine, and they are the best dry electrostatic transfer prints I have ever seen, even beating Canon's imagePRESS line, which was my former no.1 pick. No ghosting.

Yes we have an integrated Fiery, we are upgrading to the external and hoping that fixes some of the problems, I havent seen an option for toner reduction but will look for it again, and yes the machine jams and misfeeds when it does that it breaks, the error code is 045-360, 361, 362, 363

The print quality when it prints I would say is the best I have seen for a toner machine.

Ian

Gilclear on X700?

Gilclear on X700?

We have a 700 coming in soon, but were wondering if anyone has ran Gilclear (Ultra UV, Glamma, etc.) on one yet? That's about the only stock we can't run on the iGen3 and we're hoping the 700 will do it. Not a deal breaker, just wondering.

Craig Dellinger
New Haven Print & Copy
Fort Wayne, IN

Hi Everyone - I am also interested in the 700, but not very confident in the lease. Xerox is trying to push to sign the lease before the 11th of December because of the price increase. I have been reading pretty much all the posts about the 700 and as much as I want to get into the Digital world and the price of the 700 is reasonable I am still worried. I went to the demo and the quality was really good to me and the type of work we do. Any advise would help me, should i wait, is the pricing really going higher...or are they just trying to make the sale for the end of their fiscal year. I also have to do a lot of advertising to be able to handle the volume. But I believe I have to make the jump now. Please any feedback is appreciated.

Don't get pushed into a "deal" the same "deal" will be there in 30 days. I worked with Xerox for 18 months before I signed on the dotted line. Just tell them you are considering the possibility of a 5000AP, they will wait.

Thx Craig, i have read a lot of your posts as well, very informative. I know its all part of their selling tactics, but just want to make sure. I have been dealing with them for about 2 months now. I actually told them I am interested in the Canon and the C6500. That really got their attention.

Also I worried about the machine itself, after reading about the issues posted by Ian, and other people about the registration and the reliability...I am just worried about everything. I had a lease with Canon about 10 years ago and I really didnt like them. So now I have a phobia with leases. But I really like the 700 and I believe it will be a good machine for to jump into the ocean with.

Let me know.

I had a lease with Canon about 10 years ago and I really didnt like them. So now I have a phobia with leases.

I fully understand, I had the same experience after 12 years with Canon. The good thing about Xerox is the total customer satisfaction guarantee if something goes wrong.

Also I worried about the machine itself, after reading about the issues posted by Ian, and other people about the registration and the reliability...I am just worried about everything. I had a lease with Canon about 10 years ago and I really didnt like them. So now I have a phobia with leases. But I really like the 700 and I believe it will be a good machine for to jump into the ocean with.

The 700 does print really nice, they just have a few issues they are currently trying to fix, and like Craig said they are working really hard to get them resolved. A techie from fiery is coming tomorrow with a new board to fix the rip issue. Make sure you tell Xerox that you wont pay for the lease until it is up and running 100%.

Out of all the equipment we tested we liked the canon 6000/7000 the best; but working with canon is no fun and we decided to stick with Xerox in the end.

Ian

thanks for the reply Ian, so to your best knowledge do you feel that the 700 would be good starting unit for me. As far as priced is concerned and the capabilities. I would like to run 14pt gloss through the machine and i tested in the demo room and it was fine, but of course its different when printing something all the time for a long period of time. Thanks so much for all of your input. Also I am getting the Creo instead of the fiery.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back