Fiery Impose Center Marks

Rsias

To all who use Fiery Impose, does anyone know how to get center crop marks? Normally we open files in Illustrator and save with crop marks so we can get center marks, but it seems like such an unnecessary step. It seems like a huge oversight that Fiery Impose wouldn't provide center marks.

Thanks!

Why do you need centre marks?

Only time we'd use them would be when folding and using impose would have them there.

I suppose fiery just assumes your alignment is set correctly but really all that matters is the front to back registration which normal cut marks are adequate for.

Why do you need centre marks?

Only time we'd use them would be when folding and using impose would have them there.

I suppose fiery just assumes your alignment is set correctly but really all that matters is the front to back registration which normal cut marks are adequate for.
Hi pippip,

Thanks for your reply.

We're a small shop and do all of our cutting with a guillotine cutter that's not in the best shape, and it's much easier to trim accurately with center marks, especially w/ 9-up/24-up impositions.

Snap, we're a small shop with a less than new guillotine to.

I still cant see how centre cut marks are relative no matter how many up a job is.

We used to be litho so come from a time of head and side lays dictating first cuts. So we'd always trim long edges on work our way down.

What way do you trim say a 9up job?

Do you mean, center of the card or center of the sheet itself?
Technically you can trick it into putting a mark in the center of the sheet if you wanted to by using the custom registration marks settings, it'll only do one though at the top. I've attached a screenshot.
You can get center marks on your card by switching the type of crop mark to Japanese.

Attachments

• centersheet.png
    centersheet.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Japanese.png
    Japanese.png
    40 KB · Views: 191
I still cant see how centre cut marks are relative no matter how many up a job is.
What way do you trim say a 9up job?
I'm wondering this too. I can sortof see it if you're cutting the sheet in half first but I don't see how it's relevant "per item" which is what they're getting out of illustrator.

Thanks for both of your replies! Here are examples of how we like to have our marks via Illustrator. It's much easier to visualize and cut so that all of our pieces are uniform. We're a super short-run shop, so we have to deal with a lot of garbage files with no bleed and not much safety margin, so sometimes its helpful to make cuts in different orders, and center marks make it easier to visualize gutters so that all of our prints have equal margins.

For us, center marks are the most helpful when trimming 24-up business cards. We can get by on 6-up and 9-up w/out the center marks, but it would be nice to have consistency for all of our marks. It doesn't look like there is a way to produce this via Impose. It's not the end of the world, it's just another step.

Examples

on your blue man group image, are the trim marks there what you've added in illustrator? Are these the centre marks you mean?
BMG_Marks 2.jpg

Last edited:
You can get those marks through impose.

In Impose (assuming an import of single A5 to be laid 4up)
Set trim marks to 2mm and gutters to 5+mm and those will appear. Sheet Size SRA3.
You'd want to have bleed set to 2mm and finish size A5 with maybe a custom zoom if no bleed was originally present.

Last edited:
You can alway try Quite imposing Plus 5. If you need a specific Mark you can create that mark (illustrator, Indesign, etc) make a PDF out of it and Use QIP5 to Stick on PDF's and add the mark.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back