Filename Bug????

Captweez

Is anyone else experiencing an extremely frustrating bug on their Xitron machines?

What we have happening is on occasion, maybe 35% of the time, if a file is named similar to something else that is sitting in the rips library, it will cause very random errors.

In our workflow, we send over files to a preflight cue, impose FPO files in preps, and shoot them back into the rip for final output. (I'm sure this is similar to what most people do.)

When I did this yesterday, on a work in turn job, side one came out fine, but in the spot where side two should have been, it took a piece of the whole job (like color bars etc), and put them in its place. It's like it's mixing up the files. The fix seems to be to make sure that all the files in the RIP, including the preflight file, and the file when you send it back, have drastically different names. Even if the first few letters are the same, this error can still occur.

Has anyone else had this happen, or know of a fix?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

What System?

What System?

Are you using Xenith, Sierra?

If you are, there are naming conventions in the Xenith system and if you change them from the defaults it is possible to get the system to ovewrite files with similar job names . . .

If you are using Xenith, the problem is probably in the job naming convention - a call to Xitron support and a mention that the problem is in file naming and overwriting files would probably lead to a quick fix using their remote support system.

In any case, if you are looking for more help on this forum it would help if you would supply more information about your software - name, version, etc.

kernk

We're using Xenith, I'm not at work now, but I believe I remember the version being 6.0.3. I'm new to this system, I've recently switched jobs and at my old shop we used Rampage. Sorry for the lack of details, the post was half venting. I didn't even know that Xitron had multiple product lines.

When you talk about the job naming conventions, I'm unclear on what you mean. Do you mean an internal setting in the RIP, or what we actually name the files we put in the rip? Sorry if this seems like an elementary question.

Thanks,
Jeff

Also, I fully admit I haven't done all my homework. I don't know if we have a current support contract with Xitron or not, and I haven't consulted any documentation we might have lying around the shop. I guess that would be a good next step. Just trying to see if anyone might have any ideas.

The filename template in the modify job ticket tab is where Zenith takes it's character count from. When my system was setup the Xitron guys created several different filename templates that allow the filename to grab different amounts of characters from the file names. The problem is, that you have one filename template as a default, so instead of re-ripping the file, you just modify the ticket and choose a different filename template and then recycle the file and then it should be fine. It is a pain though.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back