Film positives

akalaray

We use a Epson 9500 to output clear film, for die-cutting, Spot UV coating, foil stamping, etc. The dimension stablity is not good. Some times if their is tight registration we will send out for film. What alternatives do we have? What do others use?

We had the same problem on a 9600, but it was more of a print length adjustment as it was only in the direction of the paper feed. It was still not exact, but much better. Most die makers should be able to accept vector .eps files. They have to do a little more work to place the file to the sheet, but when they get a film die line, they have to scan it, so you'll probably get the best accuracy with digital file anyway.

Bret

Ok, A little different process on our end. We use two flexo prep shops for our (Cyrel) UV coating plates. Both accept 1-bit tiffs. If you absolutely need film, I think your best bet is to find someone that still has an imagesetter, but that is going to get harder and harder as time goes on.

Bret

We found the same issues when be tested the inkjet systems the tolerance wasn't good enough for our work. We ended up buying a used Dolev 800.

Scott

The problem with imagesetters will be less and less companies will be producing film.

If I'm not mistaking Kodak stopped manufacturing film and I was told that Konica is going to manufacture film for one more year and then stop. I'm not sure about Fuji or Agfa, but I imagine they will follow in the not to distant future.

Gentlepeople, we are seeing the end of the imagesetters.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back