FineEye ICEmaker

Mike -

ICEmaker has not yet been formally released.
ICEserver was released about 4-5 months ago.

ICEmaker is an RGB>CMYK conversion tool that will produce a cleaner and wider gamut CMYK file using the same ICE technology as ICEserver. (ICE = Intelligent Color Engine).

It will be available in a few different versions from plug-in to PS and CS to server product.
Pricing will be between $500 and $2,000.

we will have ICEmaker with us at Print '09 to show as a beta. It is a very powerful product.
Please let me know if you would like any more info.

We are located in Grand Rapids, btw.
We actually operate our own inkjet paper converting facility as well and make some premium proofing grades that work very well with CGS RIPs. Most of our papers are carry GRACoL and SWOP certifications, are used by the highest qualty premedia companies in our industry yet cost between 30 and 50% less than CGS and GMG paper.

Thanks,
Ian

Control over separation?

Control over separation?

Hi, will ICE actually give the user full control over a rgb-to-cmyk separation including black generation levels? Is it a way to escape from Photoshop's stiff CMYK conversions algorythms?

Luc,

yes, ICEmaker will offer an alternative to PS conversion math.
The CEO of Fine Eye was "employee #3 at Adobe and its COO.

CMYK separation algorithms are over 100 years old. They went from pan seps, to Dr. Hell to Scitex to Adobe and have remained unchanged. Color management hoops that we all go through are a direct result of this math.

ICE changes that.
The premise is simple: if you start with a better separation, you get a better result with greater ease.

ICE is the core technology behind ICEmaker and ICEserver.
Thanks,
Ian

Ian,
Does ICEmaker support custom color spaces and expanded color gamuts with more than 4 colorants?
Thank you

Luc -

Sorry for the delay. labor Day + getting ready for Print '09 (booth 4443).
My business partner, Mike DiCosola, wrote the reply below.

Luc,

ICEmaker is currently designed to optimize color separations from RGB to CMYK only. The expanded gamut results are based upon the fundamentally new approach ICE uses to create color on press. We have tested ICE with expanded gamut CMYK processes and get even better results than with standard offset inks, but for now ICE technology is focused on four-color process.

In an earlier post, you also asked about full control over the black generation settings in the separation. I understand your question and know how you might also feel initially about my answer as I have been in your shoes before ICE. The desire to have full control of the K channel is understandable using current separation methodology. Often automated systems get the black channel all wrong and without the ability to finely control K gen, you have no ability to ‘fix’ problems that are introduced by said automatic systems. As I said – been there, done that; but with ICE, everything changes.

The short answer is no, you do not have full control of the black generation levels. In a way, ICE might be viewed as even stiffer than Photoshop in this regard. But this is because ICE fundamentally changes how a separation is made and therefore the current knowledge base on how to set black does not even really apply. When we build a M3 Media map for you, the separation algorithm is set in stone, though we work with you to tweak the Media Map if the results can be improved upon after your first ICE run.

I can tell you that we have never needed to tweak the Media Map more than once and that I have never seen a single problem caused by the algorithms on any test.

I welcome you to take the ICE Challenge at Chromaticity | Take the ICE Challenge to review the product yourself and see what it can do.

Regards – Mike DiCosola, VP of Technology, Chromaticity

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back