Finishing equipment for new Print Shop

eddiebail

Hi All

I am a newbie.

I have a KM Bizhub c451 and a very basic manual guillotine. I have been producing work and making pin money with this setup for about 18 months on a part-time basis. I am now thinking of taking the plunge to upscale my fledgling business. I have been producing booklets, leaflets, business cards, letterheads & comp slips to date with this setup.

The question I would like to ask is

What finishing equipment or any other equipment would you suggest I purchase for a digital print shop? (Forget about budget for now, what would be your wish list?)

As well as continuing to produce the items listed above, I would love to be able to also produce;

Books, brochures, reports, post cards, tickets, menus, calendars, greeting cards, PVC banners, stickers, posters and canvass print.

Your answers will aid me to develop my own wish list that I then can cut down to suit my budget. It will also aid me in deciding how much space I would need to rent.

If you want to suggest digital printing press and large format printers I would not mind either.

Eddie
UK

finished printing machine

finished printing machine

Hi Eddie,

Glad to be the first one.

I recommend you to buy uv coating, paper cutter and paper binding machine . They are very helpful machines.

REgards and thanks,

Sherry

Sherry

Thanks for your reply. Why do you say a uv coater I have not come across this before (I must fix this light in my cave) what is it used for?

EddieB

what is uv coating

what is uv coating

Hi eddie,

Thanks for your reply.

Uv coater is used for protecting the surface from water and other things and make it bright. For example, if you want to make some part of a greeting card special, you could use spot uv coating machine. The coated part will be obviously to be seen and it touchs smoothly.

Hope you would get a general idea about uv coating machine.

regards,

sherry

It really depends on what your doing and want you think you will be doing. If I were starting a small print shop in my area I would probably get the following:

A cutter is a must.
A folder is a must.
Adobe Creative Suite Design Standard
Microsoft Office Professional
Some type of imposition software, I personally like Ultimate Technographis products.
Some type of variable data program, I personally like Creo/Kodak's Darwin program.
Obviously whatever digital machines you need to get the work done. And that depends volume, quality, and color requirements.
Some type of punch with changeable dies so you can do spiral, double loop wire and GBC binding.
Some way of scoring and perfing, some folders can do this and you have dedicated machine that do an even better job at it.

If you were doing lots of saddle stitched booklets an offline booklet maker creates a much better booklet because you can dial it in and have a perfect fold and stitch placement. It is impossible to get that with inline booklet makers that come with a lot of equipment.

Offset is a completely different animal and would require a large investment. In my opinion you need the work to push a 26" press 12 hours a day before it becomes worthwhile. The reason is it will be hard to compete price wise with established shops at least in my area until you meet this threshold.

Wide Format really depends on what you think your work is going to be. If you are just going to do posters on paper than all you need is a roll-to-roll inkjet. If you going to do lots of banners, contour cut stickers, and some outdoor signage then something like a Roland Printer/Cutter would be worth looking into. If you are going to be doing mainly signs the UV flatbed like an Oce Arizona 250 is where I would start.

It really depends on what your doing and want you think you will be doing. If I were starting a small print shop in my area I would probably get the following:

A cutter is a must.
A folder is a must.
Adobe Creative Suite Design Standard
Microsoft Office Professional
Some type of imposition software, I personally like Ultimate Technographis products.
Some type of variable data program, I personally like Creo/Kodak's Darwin program.
Obviously whatever digital machines you need to get the work done. And that depends volume, quality, and color requirements.
Some type of punch with changeable dies so you can do spiral, double loop wire and GBC binding.
Some way of scoring and perfing, some folders can do this and you have dedicated machine that do an even better job at it.

If you were doing lots of saddle stitched booklets an offline booklet maker creates a much better booklet because you can dial it in and have a perfect fold and stitch placement. It is impossible to get that with inline booklet makers that come with a lot of equipment.

Offset is a completely different animal and would require a large investment. In my opinion you need the work to push a 26" press 12 hours a day before it becomes worthwhile. The reason is it will be hard to compete price wise with established shops at least in my area until you meet this threshold.

Wide Format really depends on what you think your work is going to be. If you are just going to do posters on paper than all you need is a roll-to-roll inkjet. If you going to do lots of banners, contour cut stickers, and some outdoor signage then something like a Roland Printer/Cutter would be worth looking into. If you are going to be doing mainly signs the UV flatbed like an Oce Arizona 250 is where I would start.
Fantastic CSimpson

Food for thought. Would an offline booklet maker make the booklet flat?

Laminators are more versatile than UV flood coatings. Check out youtube "graphica1" to see a "MINIBOND" at about $5000 that can laminate 1 or 2 side in supalite films,encapsulate the likes of menus and membership cards in heavy polyester films, foil onto toner etc. Bigger laminators can be seen on same link. These are not "marketing" movies as they were there to solve some queries on the use of the machines. Lamination can be a $cost X 5 and more excersize and very good return on the outlay.

Then there's the forgotten laminator that can push out 5 times or more dollars on investment. Starting with a $1800 device as a table top entry, or go to a MINIBOND at $5000 that can laminate 1 or 2 sides with thin polyprops for book covers etc, encapsulate with heavy polester films for things like menu covers and membership cards, possibly foil onto toner etc, or move up to $12000 for a BONDMASTER 20. See some on you tube under GRAPHICA1 as "MINIBOND" "A3 with A2 sheeter" etc. These are not marketing videos and were responses to questions so are not professionally done - but you'll get the drift.

Fantastic CSimpson

Food for thought. Would an offline booklet maker make the booklet flat?
Flatter than most inline machines, especially the cheap ones aka multifinishers, It also allows you do do stuff like full bleed booklets, score your covers before you use them, have perfs or die cuts in your booklet. Some booklet makers also allow for corner stiching so you can print two-up, cut, then stich to save on click charges. It is just more flexible all the way around.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back